Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Masamoto vs Shigefusa Gyuto Profile Preferences

Masamoto vs Shigefusa Gyuto Profile Preferences

Both are great profiles, selecting either comes to personal preferences.

So, which one do you prefer?

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

I love them both and prefer the one that I have in my hand at the moment. I think masamoto might edge it out but I love the shig too. Don't know what your looking for in this question but I wouldn't change your profile at all

Quote Originally Posted by turbochef422 View Post
    I love them both and prefer the one that I have in my hand at the moment. I think masamoto might edge it out but I love the shig too. Don't know what your looking for in this question but I wouldn't change your profile at all
    +1 i feel exactly the same way...

I can tell you that the last two custom makers I've commissioned work from have been sent a profile stencil that is 100% Shigefusa. That being said I have never owned a Masamoto so my opinion is a moot point
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

My profile is a hybrid of the two.

Of course, I am curios about preferences as I am trying to decide what profile to select for my heavy gyuto.

Most Japanese heavy gyutos on the market have Shigefusa-like profile with a slightly dropped heel.

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Shig all the way. I have been using the Masomoto extensively lately just trying to make myself like it and pulled out the Shig on a whim the other night. I forgot the joy that blade gives me. I just prefer a knife with a higher profile.

Profile I prefer my Masamoto. Geometry I prefer my shigefusa. You have seen both of the ones I own, and they are better for it.

I don't own a shig, but my yoshikane kasumi is not far off. I think that the taller profile and the higher nose suit a more hefty blade, whilst masamoto-esque profiles suit a svelte, nimble knife.

Masamoto is great for fine work, but isn't the all arounder that the Shig is IMO. It's profile is more conducive to a wide variety of tasks. If we were talking grind- the Shig beats the living crap outta the Masamoto all day long.
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

I agree, both great profiles, but as you probably know already that the shig's profile supports it's geometry well.

When I owned both I'd use the shig 240, which is a big knife, for prep work and the Masamoto for line work. It just happened to be better suited for my line.