Masamoto vs Shigefusa Gyuto Profile Preferences

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marko Tsourkan

Founding Member
Reaction score
Both are great profiles, selecting either comes to personal preferences.

So, which one do you prefer?

I love them both and prefer the one that I have in my hand at the moment. I think masamoto might edge it out but I love the shig too. Don't know what your looking for in this question but I wouldn't change your profile at all

I love them both and prefer the one that I have in my hand at the moment. I think masamoto might edge it out but I love the shig too. Don't know what your looking for in this question but I wouldn't change your profile at all

+1 i feel exactly the same way...

I can tell you that the last two custom makers I've commissioned work from have been sent a profile stencil that is 100% Shigefusa. That being said I have never owned a Masamoto so my opinion is a moot point :spin chair:

My profile is a hybrid of the two.

Of course, I am curios about preferences as I am trying to decide what profile to select for my heavy gyuto.

Most Japanese heavy gyutos on the market have Shigefusa-like profile with a slightly dropped heel.

Shig all the way. I have been using the Masomoto extensively lately just trying to make myself like it and pulled out the Shig on a whim the other night. I forgot the joy that blade gives me. I just prefer a knife with a higher profile.

Profile I prefer my Masamoto. Geometry I prefer my shigefusa. You have seen both of the ones I own, and they are better for it.

I don't own a shig, but my yoshikane kasumi is not far off. I think that the taller profile and the higher nose suit a more hefty blade, whilst masamoto-esque profiles suit a svelte, nimble knife.

Masamoto is great for fine work, but isn't the all arounder that the Shig is IMO. It's profile is more conducive to a wide variety of tasks. If we were talking grind- the Shig beats the living crap outta the Masamoto all day long.

I agree, both great profiles, but as you probably know already that the shig's profile supports it's geometry well.

When I owned both I'd use the shig 240, which is a big knife, for prep work and the Masamoto for line work. It just happened to be better suited for my line.

I should state I agree that the Masamoto is not as well rounded of a profile (compared to Shigefusa). I am also a home cook and can deal with this fact easier then a pro.

I agree, both great profiles, but as you probably know already that the shig's profile supports it's geometry well.

When I owned both I'd use the shig 240, which is a big knife, for prep work and the Masamoto for line work. It just happened to be better suited for my line.

+1. I owned your old 250 for a short time, and while I never had the opportunity to use it on the line(not a big call for that type of knife at a BBQ restaurant during service), it crossed my mind more than once how much I wished I'd had it back when I was running a 'finer dining' place.

Now a different question.

Many Japanese knife profiles, including Shigefusa (but not Masamoto) have dropped heel, I guess, to facilitate rocking with a flatter profile knife compared to European chef knives. How many find this feature useful? For a long time, there seemed to be a consensus that a flat area at the heel (1/4-1/3 of the edge lengh) is a good thing for those who prefer to cut with a heel area.

Would a heavy gyuto benefit from having a dropped heel? I have had this conversation with a a couple of pros and both thought it was useful feature, as it facilitates a cutting motion, making the weight of the knife to do more work.

Yes. I highly prefer a dropped heel. Full heel feels very clunky to me and unnatural. But only the heel itself, say a matter of mm's. That flat spot starting early is nice, but not if it's too flat for too long.

Yes. I highly prefer a dropped heel. Full heel feels very clunky to me and unnatural. But only the heel itself, say a matter of mm's. That flat spot starting early is nice, but not if it's too flat for too long.

+1

Having both Shig and KS at the moment I can honestly say, the only thing that I prefer the Masamoto for is push cutting. Overall, I consider the Shig the more useful knife for everything else. And has been stated numerous times--the geometry of the Shig is totally badass.

Shigefusa. I can't seem to stop visiting Maxims site and drool over them...

thanks, that is what I was looking for. Will make some heavy chef's with a dropped heel.

The shige profile is perfect in every way

I'm not exactly sure of what "dropped heel" is either. If it is what I think it is, a dropped heel is a helluva lot easier on the board.

A dropped heel is a slight rounding of the heel in the last 2 inch or so. Maybe 1.5mm or so difference in height. It essentially takes clunking out of the equation.

M

Back