Quantcast
Just ordered Kato -why? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just ordered Kato -why?

Quote Originally Posted by Lucretia View Post
    Have you started on pettys and paring knives yet? You really need at least a few of each.
    I have definitely bought more gyutos than I could need. Only have one petty so far, but have 3 paring knives with 2 more of Del's on the way.....only one will probably end up as a gift even though I already have one of his original.

Wait til you get into jnats.

Spokane, WA aka Spokanistan, or Spoklahoma, or...
    wait til you get into razors.
    Amat Victoria Curam Fortune favors the prepared.
    "A human being is primarily a bag for putting food into." -George Orwell

Been there done that. Have bought and sold a couple dozen knives now, with a dozen in the drawer at any one time. Like my gun safe, there are only so many storage spaces, so my rule is I have to sell one to make room for a new one. The custom thingy didn't help me. The knives were too precious to look at or scratch, and really not noticeably better than a Shig or Kochi, or Takeda or Takagi or ..... Finally realized they weren't the magic bullets. Then I drooled over custom handles for hours, but when I got them I realized a nice classic cherry or Ho or rosewood handle couldn't really be improved with fancy wood. I still look but have settled down now after 5 years. Hi, I'm Phip, and I have a thing for knives, I guess you could say I'm addicted...

Quote Originally Posted by marc4pt0 View Post
    And happy birthday!
    Thank you!

... and thank you all for your support and encouragement. You guys are the best!!!!

Cheers,

J

Quote Originally Posted by quantumcloud509 View Post
    wait til you get into razors.
    I share the original poster's affliction with way too many knives for a home cook, and much too much money spent, past and future.
    BUT, I will never ever get into razors, this is one thing that just does not appeal to me at all, I just like to take the Gillette Mach whatever and get it over with in 5 minutes.
    Is it the case that most kitchen knife afficionados are also into razors ? I'm pretty sure the opposite isn't true.

Quote Originally Posted by bahamaroot View Post
    Just wait 'til you can't resist putting custom handles on them!
    -sigh-
    Yep

Quote Originally Posted by Phip View Post
    ...Have bought and sold a couple dozen knives now... The custom thingy didn't help me.... too precious to look at or scratch, and really not noticeably better than a Shig or Kochi, or Takeda or Takagi or ..... Finally realized they weren't the magic bullets. Then I drooled over custom handles for hours, but when I got them I realized a nice classic cherry or Ho or rosewood handle couldn't really be improved with fancy wood....
    One of the soundest members around! Yes, stick with the best Japanese - no need for custom - and avoid those over-the-top pricey handles. Put your $ into Jnats I say.

See I disagree. I love my customs. Functional beauty is great to behold. Plus I can make the subtle changes that I prefer that are not an option on a non custom. For the handle, I enjoy the elegance of the woods and pick those that appeal to me. But that is my thinking.