Quantcast
Just ordered Kato -why? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Just ordered Kato -why?

Quote Originally Posted by Mingooch View Post
    See I disagree. I love my customs. Functional beauty is great to behold. Plus I can make the subtle changes that I prefer that are not an option on a non custom. For the handle, I enjoy the elegance of the woods and pick those that appeal to me. But that is my thinking.
    Then, if you have limited funds, you may be cursed with a synthetic-only stone collection because of it!

Oddly, I've never wanted more than the essentials. Yeah, I might purchase the odd "fun" knife to have around once in a while, but it eventually gets sold or given away. I have a couple chef's knives, couple paring knives, a solid bread knife and that's it. If one moves in, one moves out. I dread the idea of having 10 different knives for 10 different tasks--the beauty in the chef's knife is its versatility. For anything else it's paring. I sold off my slicers and petty/utility knives. I have a few butcher knives that I love, but they are never used in the kitchen hence they don't live there. Beyond that I have a nice end-grain cutting board and couple stones and that's it.

The only knife I am considering adding to the collection is a carving knife set for table-side presentation. Superfluous, I know.

But I totally understand the "disease" and I'm always happy to ooogle over other people's collection here on KKFs.

Quote Originally Posted by Asteger View Post
    Then, if you have limited funds, you may be cursed with a synthetic-only stone collection because of it!
    Do you buy jnats to sharpen knives, or you just has some knives to justify buying more stones?

I dread the idea of having 10 different knives for 10 different tasks--the beauty in the chef's knife is its versatility.
    This is the same reasoning that I use for having 10 gyutos!
    'The only real security that a man can have in this world is a reserve of knowledge, experience, and ability.' -Henry Ford

I've been in the process of level setting my collection too. These days I'm only keeping knives that i reach for and have sold off things that I thought would be hierloms. Konosuke, takeda...

My collection consist of mostly stainless knives these days. I've limited my Gyuto collection to Four but another one is coming:

250mm DT ITK AEBL
    233mm Yusuke Sakai (Swedish Stainless, Extra Hard, Extra Flat, 2.8 Spine)
    233mm Yusuke Sakai (White #2, Special Thin, standard geometry, 1.6 Spine)
    200mm Yusuke Sakai (Swedish Stainless, Extra Hard, Extra Flat, 2.8 Spine)
    220MM DT ITK AEBL (on waiting list)

These are Gyutos that I mostly grab for these days but I'm pretty satisfied with the range they give me.
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckles View Post
    This is the same reasoning that I use for having 10 gyutos!
    Ha, yeah. I think it makes more sense to have 10 gyutos than 10 different knives you rarely use. Moreover, you won't have multiple knives cluttering up your board (or having to wash). It's not like you have two gyutos out at the same time unless you are comparing them.

Quote Originally Posted by icanhaschzbrgr View Post
    Do you buy jnats to sharpen knives, or you just has some knives to justify buying more stones?
    Me, I feel a bit of a need to buy knives with single or wider bevels in order to make better use of my natural stones, so sometimes the latter. However, I'm not out of control like I know some are. The total number of stones I have, synthetic and jnat, though mostly jnat, is about equal to the number of good knives I have, which is around or a bit past a dozen. With the Jnats, I feel that they will become more expensive and harder to get in the future, and so it's better to get them now, whereas knives will continue to be made and new ones will pop up a lot. I could be wrong, though, as if we look at Japan the number of traditional craftsmen must be dwindling. Perhaps this will be balanced out by the emergence of 'new world' makers, however, as good knife interest slowly expands in other countries.

I just went through a buying binge myself, Im just not putting in any more custom orders this next year, once everything gets delivered im done for a while. ... see I can stop whenever I want ....