Wide bevel gyuto's

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChuckTheButcher

Reaction score
I am looking for peoples thoughts on what are quality wide bevel gyuto's. I want to try one out. I've recently been switching to more japanese knives in my daily use. As opposed to western style japanese knives. A year ago I wouldn't even buy a knife with a wa handle or single bevel. Now I am starting to prefer them. What is the benefit or difference in a wide double bevel? I've been looking at Konsuke. Any thoughts on that brand? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I have a konosuke fujiyama white #2 gyuto and its one of the best all around gyutos I've had. But for I wide bevel it doesn't get much better than a heiji. Two very different knives

Wide bevels are just more fun to sharpen, and they’re easier to maintain behind the edge, once you get past the initial unevenness in the bevel. It’s also easier to maintain the finish on the knife. With a convex grind or similar, you get the scratch marks along the edge each time you sharpen. If you care about that kind of thing, you have to blend it in with the rest of the blade.

Heiji makes a good wide bevel knife. Jon’s Gesshin Kagekiyo is a very nice wide bevel. I don’t own one, but I’ve handled them before. Some knives are made to look like they have a wide bevel, but they might really just be finished to look like they have a shinogi line.

You need one in your arsenal! I've owned both Heiji and Kochi and both were a lot of fun. Both great knives in their own right. I actually thought the Kochi was a phenomenal knife (and took the most extreme angle I've ever used without chipping) but the profile wasn't quite right for me. The Heiji was a great knife and I will own another at some point--next time carbon because I can't stand a stainless cladding (personal issue).

I've used a few, and Heiji and aoko Kagekiyo would be my suggestions. the Ginsanko Kagekiyo has a very concave secondary bevel, which makes for extremely thin edges and very high performance, but it's a bit trickier to work on stones. The Heijis and Aoko Kagekiyo have milder concavity on the secondary bevels, which is easier.

are you referring to the kono blue steel line? a friend of mine has a blue honyaki and the grind looks pretty sweet, can't say the same about the profile but i havent actually seen one in person. what i like about wide bevel knives is that they offer great food release which is a critical characteristic i look for in a gyuto.

I have Heiji, Kochi & Yoshikane SLD, they outperforming many of my custom knives & laser gyuto(both in cutting performance & food release) ! you have to sharpening entire wide bevel under shinogi line with hamaguri edge...very similar sharpen on a single bevel knife, you sharpening & thinning at same-time. my next wide bevel knife will be Marko's heavy chef, Gesshin Kagekiyo or custom Takeda.

Love the looks of both the Heiji & Kagekiyo carbons.I'm sure they are better in person than the photo's

Gesshin Kagekiyo is an awesome wide beveled knife! I also really like the Gesshin Heiji and kochi for wide beveled knives. Some of my favorite cutters for sure! I also have to agree that they are fun to sharpen and as long as you maintain the wide bevel really well, they don't get thick behind the edge.

-Chuck

Back