Trying to decide on Marko Tsourkan gyuto handles

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bef

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm planning on ordering a Marko Tsourkan 225mm gyuto, and sending a Masamoto gyuto 240mm to Marko for a rehandle.

I will probably have some wood pieces shipped to Marko for those knives, but I'm having a hard time deciding which wood and handle style to pick.

For the Masamoto, I'm not sure if I should look for a D-shaped handle, or an octogonal one. But I was thinking about an ebony handle with a metal spacer at both ends - that style:http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/6151/dsc1297.jpg

Do you have an opinion regarding Marko's D-shaped or octogonal handles? What would you go for, for a Masamoto 240mm gyuto?

Also, do you think that a D-shaped with ebony wood and one metal spacer at both ends would look good? I love how it looks with the octogonal handle, but I'm having a hard time trying to imagine what it would look like...

Then, for the Marko gyuto, I'm looking for a D-shaped handle, but can't decide what kind of wood to go for... Mark from Burl Source suggested that I go with a medium color. Any opinions on what I should look for? Or on a particular piece of wood?

Thanks!

Bef

It's all personal preference. Marko has my Masamoto Honyaki currently and I went with his D shaped handle made from unstablized koa. I love the look of koa and it should not effect the balancing point of the knife (being lighter than other woods I like).

All my other gyutos have octagon shaped handles but there is something special about Marko's D-shaped handles.

It's best you speak with him for his input.

Marko is an advocate of the "D" handle and executes them VERY well. Like the posts above suggest, talk to him about what you like then let him drive. And start saving some coin for matching sayas. :cool2:

If I were you I'd tell him what I was going for look wise and let him take care of the rest. His handles are the most comfortable I've ever use and I wasn't a big fan of a d handles until I used one if his.

You're getting two? Simple, one of each. D handle on the 225, Octagon on the 240. I have both and love both.

I have 2 d's of Marko's and they are amazing handles, never handled one of his octagons but they look great too. I used to be an octagon wa guy, however I'm starting to lean more towards d's these days thanks to Marko.

I've yet to see a handle by Marko which I doesn't like. Regardless of shape and materials used.
My personal preferences are Marko's D handles.

Do you really need both 240 masamoto and 225 Marko's knives? My bet is you'd end up selling masamoto at some point in the future. Gonna watch for it in BST :)

+1, one of each! choose type of wood carefully, if you consider to order a match saya. some burl wood are very expensive & hard to find for size of saya....

Have you contacted Marko to se if he's comfortable with working with your choices? Some makers have materials that they would prefer not to work with.
Trying to get in touch with him.

It's all personal preference. Marko has my Masamoto Honyaki currently and I went with his D shaped handle made from unstablized koa. I love the look of koa and it should not effect the balancing point of the knife (being lighter than other woods I like).
Interesting... I didn't think about different wood weight!

Do you really need both 240 masamoto and 225 Marko's knives? My bet is you'd end up selling masamoto at some point in the future. Gonna watch for it in BST :)

Actually, the Masamoto 240 is 250mm, really. So I thought that having a 250mm and 225mm might be interesting, and they do have a slightly different profile.

I'll try to post pics of the different products (Masamoto rehandle, Marko gyuto, cutting board and strop) once I receive them - probably in a few months.

Markups handles are the best to have had both D and octagon and I prefer his D handle. His current with the metal yip
Are really something else!

Can't go wrong either way

After a good bit of buying and selling oveR the last couple years i now only own western handled knives. Something about wa-handles knives doesn't work for me.

BUT, I did very briefly take possession of a Marko knife with a D handle, and have to say it was about as good as I could want the non-pointy end of a knife to be. I would absolutely go for the D handle if I were you.

Latest posts

Back