Just Arrived - Anyone care to guess what it is?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
I just had a couple packages arrive from overseas.
Felt like a kid at Christmas.

au001.jpg

I couldn't wait to start sanding to see if this stuff was going to be any good. Took me over a year and had to give up my first born to get this.

Anyone care to guess what it is?
Size of the block in the photo is 5&1/2" x 2&1/2" x 1&1/2"
Maybe I should call it an ingot instead of a block?

au004.jpg

I don't know what it is, but it is sure pretty. If you don't mind me asking, how do you finish your blocks to all the colors to be so vibrant?

That looks like some of the finest, tightest grained fiddleback Koa I've seen.

My wallet is crying. You're a baaaaaaad man Mr. Farley.

I don't know what it is, but it is sure pretty. If you don't mind me asking, how do you finish your blocks to all the colors to be so vibrant?

This block just had a quick belt sanding to 120 grit and then I sealed it with a light coat of spray lacquer.

As for what type of wood it is;
I will give a couple hints.
#1 It is a type of acacia, same family as koa
#2 Weight and density comparable and sometimes exceeds that of desert ironwood. The block in the photo above is a double size block and weighs a little over 1 pound.

It's that weird ass wood you had once. Give me a minute.

Ha, it's the one's that Bill Burke bought all of before I even got a chance to see them....Fiddleback Tasmanian Blackwood.

What do I win?

That looks like some of the finest, tightest grained fiddleback Koa I've seen.
My wallet is crying. You're a baaaaaaad man Mr. Farley.

Potato42 gave me an idea.
Let's turn this thread into a give away type contest.

This piece will be the prize. It is the same type of wood but with figure that looks more like crushed velvet.
au008.jpg

To enter the drawing.
Just make a post here guessing what type of wood it is.
Your post number will be your number for the drawing.
On Friday 6/17 about 5pm PST I will use a random number generator to pick the winning number.
If your post number is drawn you win this block.
I will pay for shipping as well to anywhere worldwide.

Is it some sort of burl? Lol...I will post with my real answer in a bit.

:jumpy: OK, Jatoba! Curly jatoba burl!

That's Tasmanian blackwood.

Looks like we'll have to fight over the prize ;) That was my guess also. I hope, I was way off before... I had another one in mind but it's too light for that.

Stefan

I think it's Tasmanian Blackwood also, we'll see though...

nope its black maugula sp? I have used it before and it has a brilliant blond sapwood . I want that block

nope its black maugula sp? I have used it before and it has a brilliant blond sapwood . I want that block

You mean black mulga? That was my first guess also but the pieces I have seen were all darker. O.k., I'll pass for the game, just sell me a few of the blocks :D

Stefan

Uh oh Mark...I see a lot of this being sold! You might have to count me in for one or two :) Good to see you here kind sir!

Ok so if I understand right, you're giving this good looking little block away for just guessing, even if we're wrong, right? :D Count me in! though I'm pretty sure I guessed wrong...

Thanks for giving us wood! That totally didn't come out right...

Ok so if I understand right, you're giving this good looking little block away for just guessing, even if we're wrong, right? :D Count me in! though I'm pretty sure I guessed wrong...

Thanks for giving us wood! That totally didn't come out right...

Sean,
You are correct. Even if you guess wrong, you are still in the drawing.
It's a good thing too because so far everyone has guessed wrong.
This is a type of wood a good many of you will have seen before.
But it usually looks a bit different than this.

Right now I have dropped everything and am getting all the blocks sanded and cleaned up.
I told my wife I was working late because I just got some of the coolest wood I have ever seen.
She wants me to bring a piece home to show her. Which means she'll keep it and it will end up on one of the shelves next to her computer.

Butch,
I had the guy I got this wood from cut a few blocks "Harner Style".

I will try to get this stuff ready as soon as possible.

I could be way off, but it has a sort of rosewood feel to it...you said it was an interesting sample, so I'm just going with Indian Rosewood.
It's likely something much more exotic, though.
However, I want the prize A LOT! haha

I try for MYALL WOOD ,AU
thanks for doing this

Knobthorn Acacia!

It's denser than Ironwood, and it's an Acacia, and it doesn't quite look like that, so I'm going with it.

What is "Harner style"?

Sometimes I make up my own names to describe unusual looking pieces.
In this case the block makes me think of what Butch likes.
This is a lower grade piece but I think it shows what I mean by "Harner Style"
bh001.jpg

Knobthorn Acacia!

It's denser than Ironwood, and it's an Acacia, and it doesn't quite look like that, so I'm going with it.

Actually the density can vary from 1.0 to 1.4
If I remember correctly desert ironwood will vary from 1.0 to 1.2

Latest posts

Back