Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Request From Forum Members

I am seeing that on a fotoforum also, changing the first post in the sales forum makes this much easier. No idea what the software will allow. I admit to occasionally posting in sales threads, but usually with the intent to bump what I find a great buy or to vouch for the quality of the product if I know it. But I can see how this might lead to cluttered threats. Never saw it as a major issue, but with the mentioned edit option it should become a non-issue.

Stefan

I have to be honest. I agree with Jason. The 10 posts in a for sale thread saying "sweet knife" or a drool face or wish I had more money... do get a bit annoying. It would be nice to see them just go for sale and have updates on whats sold, what's not sold, price updates, PM's sent and so on and so forth. I do feel like there are a lot of people just making their post count higher by randomly commenting on for sale threads. Sorry if it sounds like complaining, just find it annoying when selling or buying something and random people just keep posting garbage in the thread.

It would be nice if you could just update the original post but I don't know if that is possible.

-Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by brainsausage View Post
    I've always just thought of them as being nice ways of saying: 'bump'
    +1 to this. Yet, if OP has ability to edit hist post, it would probably be just the equivalent of bump. The only thing is maybe it needs to be limited by policy not to edit(bump) original post more then once in day/3days or so.

It is actually a giants the rules on other forums to post anything other than a question about the sale or something related to it....u can get an infraction for it.....I can't stand cluttered threads plus it's not fair because it bumps up your thread....while others might get lost....ryan
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

viva la revolucion !

I think the good thing about the bump system is that it keeps the currently active sales at the top of the page and the sold stuff gets pushed to the back. But once again this is something that can be solved by adding an editing system and a "sold" tag.
    "Sucking at something is the first step to becoming sorta good at something." -Jake the Dog

I don't mean any disrespect but I don't think it is necissarily a bad thing. I'll admit post that are just GLWS and smiley face are a little annoying but actual thoughts on the item can be very helpful. Not only does it keep the thread active, it also lets people know what their peers think. It's nice to see post about things from peoples who's opinion you respect. In particular for people who are new to the knife world. If some one post that they have that item as well and love it, that gives other people insight on the item. Some way to tag items as sold or not would also be extremely helpful.
    All normal people love meat. If I went to a barbeque and there was no meat, I would say 'Yo Goober! Where's the meat?'.- Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckTheButcher View Post
    I don't mean any disrespect but I don't think it is necissarily a bad thing. I'll admit post that are just GLWS and smiley face are a little annoying but actual thoughts on the item can be very helpful. Not only does it keep the thread active, it also lets people know what their peers think. It's nice to see post about things from peoples who's opinion you respect. In particular for people who are new to the knife world. If some one post that they have that item as well and love it, that gives other people insight on the item. Some way to tag items as sold or not would also be extremely helpful.
    +1

I dont think it's malicious. Most probably just think they're being helpful. And do people really care about post counts that much?
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NO ChoP! View Post
    +1

I dont think it's malicious. Most probably just think they're being helpful. And do people really care about post counts that much?
    I don't anyone mentioned anything about being malicious. But as Ryan said, while you may be giving a helpful bump, you are also pushing other seller posts down, not helpful.

Also, as Ryan said most forums only allow very specific comments or the thread may be locked. This is to be fair to all sellers/buyers and to not clutter up the thread. Granted, they tend to be bigger forums with more items be sold.

As for posts, you must not get out of this forum much. One forum I visit, they have threads just to boost post counts. People associate post count with seniority/knowledge. Rediculous, I know.
    Jason

I have a slightly different take on it than you do Jason. This is not policy or anything official- just my opinion. The BST is not intended as an outlet or a profit center. Its part of a discussion forum and I see anyones productive comments in that forum as OK. Most items sell in a matter of hours at worst, so I see no foul in where a thread lands on the page. Again its not about the sale so much as the interaction of the community at large for me. Of course if someone is being abusive or padding their post count we always take action. I guess you could say the less businesslike it is the better I like it.

Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar
    Jim, your forum, your rules. I'm a type A personality and structured based, so hence why I view it the way I do. As I've conceded, this is not a huge forum like many out there so the traffic is not as significant. An edit or flagging feature would solve the problem for PIA's like me.
    Jason