Weeknight Carnitas...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zwiefel

Reaction score
5lb pork shoulder, pressure cook at 2nd line for 60 minutes...
11215949636_2ac878df73.jpg

Giant radishes from my farmshare program...and a little usuba action...
11215923155_93d7c6f18a.jpg

So, not great...but not unacceptable product...for 4-5th time I've used the knife.
11216039613_e2079ca3bf.jpg

Gotta switch to the DTN for the avocado and Jalepeno...
11215939926_6ceb69c60b.jpg

11215937606_b5472c53bb.jpg

Whisked within an inch of its life....
11215917914_edfd9a3fb3.jpg

take the shoulder out, add the homemade chili powder from a couple of weeks ago, and some achiote paste (salt + pepper to taste)...
11215913984_5562486ab3.jpg

Shred all the pork, with a fork....
11215908804_705bbec519.jpg

reduce by 2/3 to 3/4...
11215904584_683f4de232.jpg

Add to shredded pork...
11215897614_80df6794cb.jpg

Serve on toasted corn tortillas with melting cheese, radishes, avocado mousse, and salsa ranchero...
11215894114_03f83210c9.jpg

seriously...some of the best tacos I've ever had. Thanks to Modern Cuisine for the recipe + technique on the pork..the rest is my made-up bullsh1t!

Nice Bro!
I didn't get an invite to the carnitas party!

Air Force, 17 years. I like the open country, can't stand the city. I was raised in Philadelphia, so go figure.

Well, LRAFB might just be the place for you...cheap land, and plenty of it. Plus: at least one kick@$$ knife guy to hang with!

Looks more like pastor Zwiefel but regardless they look fantastic!

Interesting. I don't know much about Mexican/Latino cuisine, actually. What's the difference between Pastor and Carnitas?

Looks more like pastor Zwiefel but regardless they look fantastic!

Carnitas usually have a fried component and pasteur is pulled pork or beef stewed in a spicy sauce. Love the pressure cooker huh

hmmm...I stand corrected then. Tacos Pastor (al pastor?) then!

So loving the PC. Really glad you turned me on to it...and glad I splurged on the 8qt unit too. Actually, I bought a 2nd one as a gift for a friend!

Ive never used a pressure cooker, they kinda scare me lol. But I do love pork tacos! Those look yummy and now I'm hungry.

Z, you've inspired me. Again. I'm on the hook for lunch Sat for a small group. Pork shoulder is one of my "go to" cause its easy and everyone likes it. And its easy.

Made some powdered chiles as described in your previous thread. Added some mojo, garlic, a sour orange to the chilis and got the shoulder wet. Pernil, sort of. It's now going to live in fridge till tomorrow nite when I'll lightly smoke it. (Can't quite make the leap of faith to PC yet) Then it will be tortillas and guac and other stuff. I'll probably get invited back.

My understanding is the Al Pastor is done historically on a spit, over a fire. Carnitas are braised or stewed. In local food truck parlance the pastor is pre-sliced and done on a flat top to order. Carnitas are the pastor that didn't sell yesterday, put in a pot. Both can be served as you did. At .99 each I call em lunch.

Dave

Almost forgot:

2013-12-05 13.28.46.jpg2013-12-05 13.29.57.jpg

It happened.

hmmm...I stand corrected then. Tacos Pastor (al pastor?) then!

So loving the PC. Really glad you turned me on to it...and glad I splurged on the 8qt unit too. Actually, I bought a 2nd one as a gift for a friend!

looks delicious!! wow.

tacos al pastor are cut from a spit. you my friend made a hybrid dish. an amazing hybrid. if that is chili braised..it is carne adovada!!

carnitas are like a mexican pork "confit"..seriously..who cares? i wanna come over and eat it.

you are totally ruining my "mostly veggies" diet adjustment.

man, i love mexican food.

Ive never used a pressure cooker, they kinda scare me lol. But I do love pork tacos! Those look yummy and now I'm hungry.

The new ones are remarkably safe. The model I have is designed with about 7 different safety mechanisms. and they ALL have to fail to have a problem. Seriously...you have to be totally negligent to have a problem.

There is a BUT though...aside from the one in the photos :laughat:: these modern ones ain't cheap. I am SO glad I splurged on it though.

Z, you've inspired me. Again. I'm on the hook for lunch Sat for a small group. Pork shoulder is one of my "go to" cause its easy and everyone likes it. And its easy.

Made some powdered chiles as described in your previous thread. Added some mojo, garlic, a sour orange to the chilis and got the shoulder wet. Pernil, sort of. It's now going to live in fridge till tomorrow nite when I'll lightly smoke it. (Can't quite make the leap of faith to PC yet) Then it will be tortillas and guac and other stuff. I'll probably get invited back.

My understanding is the Al Pastor is done historically on a spit, over a fire. Carnitas are braised or stewed. In local food truck parlance the pastor is pre-sliced and done on a flat top to order. Carnitas are the pastor that didn't sell yesterday, put in a pot. Both can be served as you did. At .99 each I call em lunch.

Dave

Cool! I had no idea about all of that terminology!I never could really tell the difference between these things at the restaurant...but it's also more of a gringo restaurant scene here. Though I am finding a few of the "authentico" places now and starting to enjoy them (Tortas! who knew?) And thanks for the kind words.

It happened.

Heh...took me a second to get it.

looks delicious!! wow.

tacos al pastor are cut from a spit. you my friend made a hybrid dish. an amazing hybrid. if that is chili braised..it is carne adovada!!

carnitas are like a mexican pork "confit"..seriously..who cares? i wanna come over and eat it.

you are totally ruining my "mostly veggies" diet adjustment.

man, i love mexican food.

Glad to be of service! Drop by anytime!

Just make sure you get a good one and you'll be fine. You'll love it

I've also been nervously on the fence about getting a pressure cooker. Seeing this maybe I should check into them more seriously.

Boomchaka... is right. Usually 'carnitas' spends at least part of its cook time in contact with hot oil, especially lard. But as you move further south and east (in Mexico/Central America/Carribean) you get more liquid braising vs. confit. One method I've seen and used adds a few oranges or sour oranges and their juice to the pork as it cooks in its rendered fat & lard, and at the end a lot of the oil is pulled off and milk is added.

but yeah - looks great!

I just opened a store (after 2 years unemployed) and I'm between "Carnitas Michoacanas #2" and " Mercado 3 Hermanos Carniceria". On Sat & Sun they both pull giant pots into the back ally area and fire up dueling carnitas, and its being braised in lard....and smells awesome!

For you folks squimish about pressure cookers...just do it! A great brand not given much credit is Magefessa, a spanish company that years ago was ranked equal in all areas (except for the instruction manuel) to Kuhn Rikon. Target and a few other places have their pc's in the $70 range...can't go wrong.

Boomchaka... is right. Usually 'carnitas' spends at least part of its cook time in contact with hot oil, especially lard. But as you move further south and east (in Mexico/Central America/Carribean) you get more liquid braising vs. confit. One method I've seen and used adds a few oranges or sour oranges and their juice to the pork as it cooks in its rendered fat & lard, and at the end a lot of the oil is pulled off and milk is added.

but yeah - looks great!

I just opened a store (after 2 years unemployed) and I'm between "Carnitas Michoacanas #2" and " Mercado 3 Hermanos Carniceria". On Sat & Sun they both pull giant pots into the back ally area and fire up dueling carnitas, and its being braised in lard....and smells awesome!

For you folks squimish about pressure cookers...just do it! A great brand not given much credit is Magefessa, a spanish company that years ago was ranked equal in all areas (except for the instruction manuel) to Kuhn Rikon. Target and a few other places have their pc's in the $70 range...can't go wrong.

Cool! thanks for the additional insight and options!

at $70, that is a TOTAL no-brainer. seriously. go do it today.

Back