Quantcast
The Gyuto Plunge
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Gyuto Plunge

The Gyuto Plunge

Hello. First post--more info below questionnaire. Thank you!

USA

KNIFE TYPE
    What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
    Chef/Gyuto

Are you right or left handed?
    Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
    Not sure, leaning Japanese 'D'

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
    ~240mm 10"

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
    No

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
    ~$200

KNIFE USE
    Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
    Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
    slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, filleting fish, trimming meats, anything but bone tasks.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
    N/A

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
    Improving my Pinch grip

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
    Depends how dull the knife is. I try to use primarily slice and push cut. Drawing if the knife is dull, sometimes rocking if mincing. Trying to avoid.

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

Better aesthetics -- seamless from blade to handle, open to finishes and handles

Comfort -- improved balance and light to medium weight, better handle, decent pinch area for thumb comfort

Ease of Use -- preferably ability to use the knife right out of the box, decent food release, low-medium maintenance.

Edge Retention -- at least several months without sharpening.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
    Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board?
    Yes, bamboo

Do you sharpen your own knives?
    Sharpening steel only, for now.

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives?
    Yes

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives?
    Yes, in time.

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS
    I've been looking closely at a number of Gyutos:
    Tojiro DP 240mm (VG10)
    Shun Classic 10" (VG10)
    Hiromoto Gyuto 240mm (comes in both stainless and carbon -- Gingami No.3 and Aogami Super respectively)

I'm under the impression the first two are all stainless and the third is carbon core with stainless clad. All within my price range, fairly light weight.

I used a Wusthof 10" Classic Chef and it was very heavy (9.8oz). The 10" Shun classic was preferable in weight (8.4oz?).

Would prefer stainless steel OR carbon steel with stainless clad covering portion/most of blade for stain/patina resistance/control (ie Hiromoto Aogami Super Gyuto 240mm).

Looking for alternative recommendations or advice on my choices. This is my first blade that I intend to care for.

I personally would recommend the hiromoto AS. They are in my opinion the best knives for people getting into jknives. It's a lot of bang for your buck and the stainless cladding makes caring for them easier. Plus if so inclined in the future you can get them spruced up.
    All normal people love meat. If I went to a barbeque and there was no meat, I would say 'Yo Goober! Where's the meat?'.- Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckTheButcher View Post
    Plus if so inclined in the future you can get them spruced up.
    What do you mean by spruced up? Example?

Where would I find the AS for purchase?

Also, I don't see that Hiromoto makes any petty sized knives. Any recommendation there?

I just took my 210mm Hiro AS gyuto into the shop and had the spine and choil rounded. I love using that knife now. Other options for sprucing it up include thinning the blade behind the edge, but leaving the spine intact.

The Hiro AS is indeed low maintenance for a carbon edge -- its cladding is stainless, and the cutting edge takes patina so nicely and seems pretty unreactive in general.

There are people, most notably Dave Martell from japaneseknifesharpening, who do things like acid etch, re-handle, thin, round the spine, ect. You can get them at japanesechefsknife.com and a few other places. The AS is the same as the carbon sereies. AS is for aogami super. One thing I will say, even if you don't go for the hiromoto, don't get a shun. This is just my opinion but there are way better knives for cheaper. I think the majority of other forum members would agree.
    All normal people love meat. If I went to a barbeque and there was no meat, I would say 'Yo Goober! Where's the meat?'.- Homer Simpson

I did enjoy the Shun handle so I was considering it for my petty blade. Alternative suggestions there?

I may re-handle the hiromoto in favor of a D shaped butt.

I didn't noticed that you wanted a japanese style handle. It isn't so easy to rehandle a western knife to a wa handle. There are countless of quality knives with the Japanese style handles I would recommend over shun and at a better price. Check out japaneseknifeimports.com, japanesechefsknife.com, epicedge.com, korin.com. There are many clad and stainless knives. I personally prefer clad carbon. There are also several people on this forum who will rehandle japanese knives as well. Some of the ho wood handles that come with the knives aren't the prettiest. Just remember it's over $100 for new handle and to get it installed.

I've never used a Hiromoto gyuto so I may not re handle it. I just preferred the shun handle to the wusthof handle. I've been using western style handles for 10 years though. I don't see a handle making or breaking my decision on the hiromoto, but if I do decide to examine other makers based on handle I'm not sure what brands to look at. I will look through some other clad carbon options.

Both the G3 and especially the AS by Hiromoto are exceptional performers in their price category. If you are particulary attentive to Fit&Finish you might have a look at the Misonos. With the Hiromotos you get the better steel for less money though. That's why people put expensive handles on them, because the blade is worth of it.
    All with JCK, japanesechefsknife.com

after revisiting JCK i noticed hiromoto does in fact have petty knives. does it makes sense to also get a petty knife in carbon (the matching one)? or stainless? different brand?

i see some of these are well recommended:
    Kansui Dojo
    Hattori FH Item# FH-3
    Misono UX10Ryusen Blazen
    Masamoto VG
    Tojiro DP