Quantcast
The Gyuto Plunge - Page 3
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Gyuto Plunge

I don't think the issues for a home cook are the same as for a pro chef. If someone were slicing large quantities of acidic foods, that would be extended exposure of the edge to the acidic food. For smaller quantities, I don't think it's as big a deal. My $.02.

+1
    I wonder whether the OP will be cutting peppers for an hour or so.

For home use I don't worry about acidic foods. Just rinse the knife when your done.
    "Those who say it can't be done are always pasted by those doing it"

Quote Originally Posted by Benuser View Post
    +1
    I wonder whether the OP will be cutting peppers for an hour or so.
    60m? ha more like 60s.

I used AS steel in Hiromoto alot at work as well as other carbons.As Gardemanger huge amount of acidic fruits like,pineapple,grapefruit,oranges,lemons,& large quantities of tomato's.With some jobs would keep a folded damp cloth at edge of board.

I used quality carbon & the edges held up very well.Much better than most stainless.The Hiromoto AS petty is a great workhorse small blade.Get them both & a whetstone to sharpen,you can put a killer edge on the AS steel & have better edge retention.It is a good bang for the buck for quality steel.

OK great thanks for that.

gladly take any other opinions on petty blade.

Quote Originally Posted by eighteesix View Post
    OK great thanks for that.

gladly take any other opinions on petty blade.
    Well, JCK offers Fujiwara FKM which is great value for the money. Stainless and pretty cheap. I like mine.
    Carbonext is another good option from JCK. A bit more expensive, but can take a better edge.

At home I'm using sharpening steel maybe once in a week or so… not because knives are dull, but more because I'm bored and wanted to sharpen something

wondering-- do people use sharpening steel after each use on petty knives?

as far as sharpening, if I don't plan on sharpening my own blades immediately would it be a bad idea to bring the AS gyuto to a professional sharpener?

All steels are not the same,coarse & diamond steels can screw up an edge over time,I like polishing steels or smooth ceramics,these are quite capable of realining your edge extending your prep time between the stone sharpenings.

The forschner combo-cut steel(fine-smooth) 12" will work well if used properly.Around 30.00.When using a steel angle is important,the same as or a hair over your final bevel on the stone.Light measured strokes,not pressing hard on the steel.

Learning to freehand on a stone will free you up from depending on other's to sharpen for you.Some sharpeners use belts,it is much better to learn sharpening yourself.It is not that hard just good technique & some motor skills.

and what about steeling a petty knife?