Quantcast
Strop search!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Strop search!

Strop search!

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the leather strop from Knifewear. The guys there seem great to deal with, I'm picking up a Christmas pressie from there and I'm in need of a strop too so I figured I'd check in here first
    Opposing recommendations are also welcome (looking for a strop and hone)!
    Cheers

Are you talking about the paddle strop?

That's the one.

I guess a lot about stropping comes down to personal preference and confidence in what you're using so that being said I wouldn't buy that strop. I would look at a modular solution where you could replace the leather or use something else besides leather such as felt. I may open up a debate here but for me personally I get better results from hard felt. I find it easier to roll edges using leather. Also, I find that hard felt is better at grabbing small particles and tearing them away from your edge. Leather seems to align them but leaves them hanging. I also like the bite I get with diamond spray on felt vs a anything on leather. Again, this is just personal preference. Others will have different opinions. I think Marko sells a base with rock hard leather pads (check the vendor section). His felt is very hard which is key in getting good results. Lastly, I just don't like the form of the Knifewear strop. Unless you are using with with razors the handle is superfluous. I see the leather on both sides as problematic too. Unless your workspace is super clean you're looking at introducing impurities into your pasted side and/or damaging either side which happens to be facing down.

Thanks for your input tripleq. All good points.
    I will definitely look into Marko's set up, his work is very handsome.

I've been using the knifewear strop for 5 years, and it's been lovely. I like the wooden mounting, I find the handle makes it easier to use. I keep it on it's side when not in use, so cleanliness isn't an issue. Kevin from knifewear is the reason I started to look into knives, that shop is worth supporting.

+ Reply to Thread