Overview on sharpening carbon steel

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbott

Reaction score
Hey folks

Not a big poster but I browse a lot of threads and have learned quite a bit. I'm wondering if anybody knows of a decent video or literature that provides a good sharpening overview. I'm not a novice sharpener, but I just can't figure out how to get to the 'next level' (wherever that is...)). I own a few Konosukes (270 Fujiyama white #2 gyuto, 300 HD Suji), a Moritaka, a Tojiro, and I sharpen with chosera 1000, 3000, and I have a king 6000 (which I don't much care for). I finish by stropping on felt loaded with diamond, then straight leather. I'm sure many of you have suggestions for products, like different stropping compounds, or higher finishing stones (all of which are on my wish list), but I'm sure I can take my knives farther with what I have. I'm sure my technique is holding me back, but it's tough to learn without someone experienced watching you and making corrections. So I'm wondering if anybody out there can point to any videos or literature that provide a complete enough overview so I can read through and see if I'm missing things that could help me make changes. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks for the help!

T

I take gyuto and Sujihiki up to 5 k then strop on felt with diamonds. Try that and see if it gets you anywhere. Check out my gyuto sharpening vid and see if it helps at all.

[video=youtube;dW_sAqpVmug]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW_sAqpVmug[/video]

That was definitely helpful. I think I'll get back to the sharpie trick, and I like the idea of stropping between grits. Thanks!

After a Chosera 3k there isn't so much improvement to be expected, but plenty occasions to undo what you've achieved,

I have many carbons and all of them only touch a 8000 grit stone.

I used to strop but in my opinion.is not worth the effort.

I'll try it all when I bring my knives home this weekend. Are any of you familiar with the Kono HD steel? Does is benefit from anything in particular?

I'll try it all when I bring my knives home this weekend. Are any of you familiar with the Kono HD steel? Does is benefit from anything in particular?

I sharpen mine highly asymmetrically. Like 90/10. Seems to work pretty well.

Back