Quantcast
Sharpening wide bevel knives - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sharpening wide bevel knives

Quote Originally Posted by brianh View Post
    Really helpful, thank you. I need to learn more about which stones will generally help preserve the kasumi finish. Dave did mention he'd likely use the King 800 on my Kochi and might have some stone suggestions after sharpening. I also have a Takeda nakiri which I believe will need the entire blade road flattened when sharpening?
    My experience with Takedas is limited, but they are thin knives that don't have a distinct blade road. I believe that they are best maintained by thinning when needed and then blending the thinned area so it is convex. One of the neatest tools to use is Takeda's hand-held whetstone. http://www.chuboknives.com/products/...e#.UqKGXJFMjLQ

“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”

I like to sharpen a wide cutting bevel even after thinning, dont ask me why, I just know that I like how it cuts that way.

Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    I like to sharpen a wide cutting bevel even after thinning, dont ask me why, I just know that I like how it cuts that way.
    +1 for many prep jobs.Little higher final bevel fot tougher tasks.

I have a Heiji gyuto and petty coming in a few months so this topic is particularly interesting to me. Here is a thread that is specific to sharpening wide beveled Heiji's, but the advice should be helpful and apply to wide beveled knives in general.
    Fudoushin Bujinkan Dojo: http://fudoushin.com/

I never sharpening my wide bevele knives on cutting edge only! it will cause the edge thick up quickly..... there are two ways to sharpening wide beveled knives: V shape edge & hamaguri edge. personally, I prefer hamaguri edge much more!

V shape edge(easy way) - you thinning/sharpening entire wide bevel under shinogi line, then you put a primary bevel on at whichever angle you prefer(higher angle for tough edge, lower angle for thinner edge)

hamaguri edge(harder way) - same way you sharpening a single bevel knives.....only doing on both sides! Jon's video will demonstrate how to sharpen a single bevel knives better than my crappy English!
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

What stones are you guys using for this? At least what progression to get out most of the scratches, both synthetic and natural stones?

Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    On single-bevel knives like debas and yanagibas, yes. On a double-bevel knife, not so much, and actually the blade roads OOTB are slightly concave, rather than convex, because they are ground on wheels.
    How do the makers manage to send them out with a kasumi finish without flattening the bevels?

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    magic
    So, I shouldn't be surprised if I start polishing a bevel and notice my stone is hitting the top and bottom of the bevel (leaving out the edge as expected), but not the middle, even though the knife had a kasumi polish OOTB? I noticed that with a Konosuke Fujiyama.

To be clear, what I observed was:
    - grind marks (top of bevel)
    - no grind marks (middle)
    - grind marks (bottom of bevel)
    - no grind marks (last few mm down to edge)

I got the knife second hand with a sandpaper finish, but from what I see online Konosuke Fujiyamas do come with a kasumi finish.

Sponsors
    yeah... it will come out over time... you can use finger stones or sandpaper to make it look nice in the meantime if you want