Gyuto 210 narrow down/rec

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dnmattisson

Reaction score
Hello,
Just found this forum, looks like a fantastic resource. I have been looking at getting a new gyuto, my first Japanese knife. I have found several options that I think would work well, interested in hearing some feedback or preferences. A bit about my preferences:
Price: $150-200
Handle: japanese
Use: at home, vegetables and boneless meat
Material: carbon or stainless clad (edge still carbon)
Size: 210mm
Other: I have no experience sharpening but will start practicing on my old knives. Want something with a double bevel and should be relatively easy to sharpen. I don't want an ultra-thin/laser knife, I don't mind a bit extra weight.

Some knives I am looking at:
Katsushige Anryu Kuruochi Suminagashi
Goko Gyuto 210
Masakage Yuki
Tanaka Sesiko Damascus

Any of these that stand out or should be avoided? Any others that should be considered?

Thanks in advance!

Not going to be much help here because those knives are all good cutters and very close in performance. Basically splitting hairs but here is how I would rank them.

Tanaka Sesiko Damascus
Masakage Yuki
Katsushige Anryu Kuruochi Suminagashi
Goko Gyuto

Thanks, I will check the Hiromoto out. James, have you had a chance to see/use any of these?

Bahamaroot, do you own all of those knives?

I have not heard any reviews of three of those knives.. I think the Hiro AS is a pretty good option for a starting knife but it is western handled. For wa-handled knives... JKI has a new budget knife that I got to look at when I was at the store http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/kitchen-knives-by-type/gyuto/gesshin-uraku-210mm-white-2-kurouchi-wa-gyuto.html It is a kurochi white steel knife that looks great for a starter at $120.

I also like the http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/kitchen-knives/zakuri/zakuri-210mm-blue-1-kurouchi-gyuto.html# great budget knife! The blue core is a big plus in my opinion! The zakuri has a nice handle (a little on the large side). This knife is a little on the thicker side but I really enjoy it!

Thats just my 2 cents on sub $200 carbon knives that I really like! To be clear, one I have used (zakuri) and enjoy very much. The other I got to hold and look at and think it will be a great performer for the price of the knife!

-Chuck

I have a friend with a goko and he loves it. I used it a little and it is pretty nice.

You are looking at some nice knives,if this is your first Japanese Gyuto,you will be stoked with any of these blades.Carbon core san mai stainless clad make great J-blades.

I like the Katsushige Anryu hammer finish(good for food release)Aogami #2 Blue Steel core.Little over 200.00 for the 210mm.

I think you would be very happy with the Gesshin Uraku. It would be a great starter knife and help guide you later when you decide to go higher end.

Not a long time ago I've bought Yamawaku 210mm gyuto from Ebay to use as a beater knive and on travels. It costed me 77$ which is way below your budget (which means you could also buy some stones). For the price it has surprisingly good fit and finish. With burnt oval chestnut handle it's the only knife I had which I'm not going to rehandle. Core is from V2 steel which is easy to sharpen and takes a nice edge. In future it would definitely needs thinning behind the edge but right now it cuts great and doesn't seem to wedge.

Seems like a great knife to start with. Also I think you can't go wrong with Gesshin knives :)

Back