What knives would you never sell? Forever Keepers.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been thinking about selling knives lately, but I probably won't unless this crazy swinger house comes in way over budget, but it has got me thinking about what I would clench my fleshy fingers around as my last resort.

I have to say that thinking about this is really difficult. There are so many friends in my knife drawer that I often use.

If I were to choose right now, I would keep my mario 240, marko suji, DT petty, adam mary honesuki, and HHH wootz charcuterie knife. 5 knives: 2x stainless, 2x 52100, and one damascus carbon something. I should pick a paring knife too, but the DT petty is capable.

k.

My Del 210 Damascus and 240 mono gyutos, HHH Tuxedo Damascus gyuto, ZK 10"chefs knife. I have more coming that might make that list, but we shall see. Also the Rodrigue Power Sword might as well make the list too.

I have separation anxiety when it comes to any of my knives, even though they are more modest than many others' treasures. But I would keep the Fish-handled and Dave-pimped Hiro AS 240, Carter 9.5 sun wa suji, Carter 6.5 sun HG funayuki, Harner 185ish nakiri, Watanabe 270 gyuto, Carter muteki 145 honesuki, Dojo parer, Guede 320 bread knife. I think these make a decent set. All great performers and all rehandled.

Stefan

I will never, ever sale this knife, san-mai spicy white core with 410 ss clad.

attachment.php

I also have a Carter 5.3 sun riveted handle Funayuki that love too much to let go. It's too bad he doesn't

make these any more. They are rustic, but extremely easy to sharpen and hold an edge for a long time.

You guys have all been helpfull and some of the big name makers here have cheered me up at work enough to get though some bad years on line, but I'd sell any Dt, Carter, Fowler, ect to have some fun and try a new Heji.
The ones I'd never sell are the gifted set of sushi knives I got when one of our old timers retired. 20 years of everyday use.
009.jpg~320x480

well, guys I never thought I would sell most of my knives but, I did. I have the one Pierre made me as a special personal gift, I can't sell that one and I am more then likely keeping most of Chef's personal knives. Oddly, the one I gave to Eamon to work on actually, came back to me in the whole Catchside/ Burke utility knife debacle. I never thought I would sell the Dragonslayer Set but, it looks like the only way For me to get out of here is to do it. I'm holding out as long as I can though.lol

I have a couple Fish-handled knives that would be very difficult to let go, and now that I think about it, my Carter would probably add to the my five (now six) list to keep.

At one point in time I wanted to start an online consignment/pawn store where people could 'give up' knives and possibly buy them back later, and sales would be favorable to those who would be willing to sell them back to the original owner when things smoothed out.

k.

I love selling knives and getting to try new stuff. The only 2 I have I wouldn't sell is a Mario 270 I just bought back bc I missed it so and a really cool carter 200mm funy that I picked up here. It's got an awesome 1/2 round 1/2 octogon handle. He made the knife while still in japan and it's unlike my other Carter's bc its super thick coming out if the handle an then tapers right away kinda like the shig I had. I know if i sold it I could never replace it.

So far I have none that I would never sell. I think among the knives currently in my home, I'd have to flip some coins or roll some dice to determine last to sell. It'd most likely be one of my two gyuto though (Sakai Yusuke, Itinomonn). Perhaps the Harner on the way will change my mind, but I don't know.

a great chef mentor I worked with right out of school gave me a takeda AS 240 slicer, ill never let go of that. my Aritsugu blue 2-180mm mukimono, DT ITK 240, those are some solid 2 other keepers. my Hattori KF is so hammered and has seen too long in the kitchen, so I think im stuck with that workhorse too.

I love my Will, not Willy! Great knife real workhorse, Heiji S/S great knife.
CB

I thought I had a few life long keepers, but as I've amassed newer knives, I've realized I could probably let them go. So, although I have some current favs, I'm guessing someday I'll have a newer, hotter knife of the moment.

All that being said, my personally designed 250mm in 52100 has some sentimental value...

I would have to say at the moment, Just about all my Harners would be keepers... but I, like most other people here could be swayed by newer things... More than likely newer Harners! :biggrin:

I just sold 20 or so knives., many I thought I'd never sell. My only rule now is keep the knives that were given to me. The rest are sellable.

well, guys I never thought I would sell most of my knives but, I did. I have the one Pierre made me as a special personal gift, I can't sell that one and I am more then likely keeping most of Chef's personal knives. Oddly, the one I gave to Eamon to work on actually, came back to me in the whole Catchside/ Burke utility knife debacle. I never thought I would sell the Dragonslayer Set but, it looks like the only way For me to get out of here is to do it. I'm holding out as long as I can though.lol

Where does one see pics of the dragonslayer set? Heard it mentioned it many times, must be quite epic.

I've recently been asking myself this question an awful lot, lately. My definite keepers are:

Rodrigue Pettysuki - it's my prize
Misono Moly 210 gyuto (my wife bought it for me as my first j-knife and it truly does kick ass)
Carter 7.4 sun KU Suji with custom handle - Rick made it attainable at a time that I thought I'd never own a knife like it.
Harner Mini Gyuto - I've had multiple offers on this one and have turned them all down.
Davis Dammy Petty - I was keeping either it or my gyuto and I sold the gyuto (I considered the one i didn't sell a gift from a friend)
Catcheside gyuto. It just makes me happy.

That's it, for now.

unless you find your 'perfect match' in every way imaginable, shouldn't any knife be expendable? i'm still in search of my holy grail. sure i've found a few that i think is great most of the way, but that last 1 or 2 attributes counts for A LOT at this end of the spectrum. i imagine a highly specific full on custom is the only way to achieve such a thing. my most recent is a semi-custom takeda, i'm thinking i may need a second custom from another maker to handle heavier tasks.

any gifted knives should not be involved in the discussion as that goes without saying not to let go of unless regifting elsewhere.

Never say never. But I hope never have to sell irreplaceable knives, that form a species, like vintages, or knives I have been given, have a history, knives I did a lot of work on, that have become a part of my knife life.

my dad's horn handled 60s vintage Randall 6" model 4.

Oh yeah. My dad's Henckels Chef.

I now realize I would find acceptable to find another good or even better home to some knives, but not selling them.

Takagi Honyaki-Ebony Octagon Handle

Aritsugu 270 Yanagi-Curly Koa, Blk. Horn,Honduran Rosewood Handle

Takeda 270 gyuto-Handle in the works

"What knives would you never sell? Forever Keepers."

Sell?? No! :viking:
A few knives are on long term loan though :wink:

I won't sell any of my knives unless someday I become really desperate, but even then I would never sell my Bob Kramer 9" chef's in 52100.

I don't have an extensive collection like you guys but the one knife ill never part with was a gift from a forum member. He recently sent me a bunch of different knives to try out and of all, I loved the Yamawaku. It will forever be on my wall. It also turned me into a wa girl ;)

Back