Quantcast
Caring for a Japanese knife for normal people? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Caring for a Japanese knife for normal people?

Radavich, what are the "lengthy care procedures" you refer to? If you keep it away from hard stuff (bones, frozen food, other metal utensils, glass or stone cutting boards, etc.) that will hurt it, avoid long contact with things like acidic foods, wipe it during prep, and wash and dry it thoroughly when you're finished, you should be fine.

I think a lot of knife damage is done by people who see a knife as an indestructible piece of metal, and who try to do things beyond cutting with them. With a bit of care, you should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by chuck239 View Post
    I do agree with most of this things you said except for this. A normal steel will NOT cause ANY problems to a knife. Is it the best thing to use? No, not at all. Sharpening, stropping or a ceramic steel are all better options! But no, a traditional steel will not damage your knives in any way, shape or form. If you do decide to use one, do not use it like the clowns on TV (see: Gordon Ramsey).

-Chuck
    I use the steel regularly...

They are both meant to be abrasives and if they are the same grit, they will shave steel accordingly . A stone with the larger surface area wld shave more steel. For maintenance purposes, I wld go with minimum 1000 grit. Personally I prefer 1600 grit and also have a 800 grit rod when more steel removal is required and then finished off on te 1600 grit of a polishing stone. Rodding it on a 800 grit by itself leaves a rough edge.

a) do bear in mind that as te edge has only rolled, you are removing a minute amount of steel required and hence do bear in mind the pressure applied. It sshld be lighter strokes towards teh last few finishing strokes.

b) I prefer cutting into the rod strokes ( edge leading as I am of the view that an unrolled curled edge is weak metal.

c) Once every couple of weeks I do steel it at teh lowest angle possible to slightly thin the te secondary Edge ( inner edge of the edge) so that it does not become too thick after a few honing sessions.

have fun... rgds
    d