Gift Ideas for Yourself

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mc2442

KKF Supporting Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
I am very much an impulse buyer, so if I actually want something, and it is not too expensive for a gift, I probably already have it. I always forget to put a few things off this time of year for family to be able to get it, so I always draw a blank on the question "so what do you want this year?".

Any suggestions on something I might not know I want but probably don't have? Say $50 or so, up to $100.

What has been your answer to the same question from friends and family?

I save cookbooks I want for this. Also spices and coffee are things I dont mind asking for.

I asked my wife for a Semogue Shaving Brush...or rather, I hinted.

scooby.jpg

Could ask for some misc computer hardware, such as a new (faster?) wireless router, external hard drive, new keyboard, etc. Camera accessories are also good if you have a DSLR. Fresh pasta, sausages, Italian cookies, etc. from places in Philadelphia (mail order) are good as well. More spoons for cooking/ serving, spatulas, good whisks, etc. are also always welcome. Selection of different Pyrex measuring cups (up to 4 or 8 cups). Canisters for sugars, flours, etc. Corkscrews? Restaurant-size rolls of saran wrap and aluminum foil (waaaay cheaper than buying small rolls at grocery store). Big bag of arborio rice for risotto. Big bag of cornmeal/ polenta. Gallon container of decent XVOO that is okay for cooking (restaurant store again). USB thumb drive(s).

I briefly saw a Chia Pet for Duck Dynasty....I don't think it was fake...that would be too much to hope for.

Spices are interesting. I have a supply of pepper from pepper passion, but what would you recommend?

I have a decent supply of strops, but not Marko. I have a few leather and felt left to go so probably not looking, but nice suggestion. Probably good on stones as well at this point (for the current state of my sharpening...have not gotten into naturals yet).

This is what I bought for myself this year. The coolest watch on the market, the Pebble!

tk4r.jpg
[/URL]

LOL, I am interested in how the phone watches turn out, but I have actively mocked my CFO after watching him talk into one....or at least trying to. I don't see it, but most of the next big things teach us that we do not know what we want next.

Thank you for the suggestions David. I should have asked this a month ago to see if we could get a Damascus spoon order or something going. As for computer equipment I think I am good, although you reminded me I need to get something for my folks. Their wireless router does not give great coverage around their house (concrete base is probably the cause) and need to look for some kind of amplifier to project stronger upstairs.

A Del paring knife would have been good, although I bought two to give as gifts....but will probably end up keeping one (kind of intended).

When asked, I usually suggest cooking "stuff". Cookbooks are good. A new de Buyer or Swiss Diamond is right in your price range. When I receive such a gift I make it a point to cook something from cookbook or with the new toy for the person.

BURL!! You cant go wrong with spending that money on some killer burl!! ;)

Oh yea. Im a BURL JUNKY! So it works for me.. :)

LOL, yes Randy, as someone who just received one of you special project knives with an awesome handle, I love me some burl!

I got my father a DT ITK in recent past, but neither they, nor my friends, really share the obsession. I think he likes the use, but does not appreciate the knife as we do. Not sure a hunk of wood under the tree is what he had in mind when he insisted we have presents under the tree (as opposed to gift certificates).

I guess a side note is I have tried to drag more into our world. I have given several knives as gifts, and continue to sharpen them, but don't have anyone hooked yet. One on the edge, but don't think will completely bite. Part of it is probably the fact that it is easier to have me sharpen than get their own set up and learn.

Thank you all,

Matt

Back