Quantcast
Looking for a first gyuto, 200$ and below, 210mm hammered carbon steel - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for a first gyuto, 200$ and below, 210mm hammered carbon steel

Quote Originally Posted by Brett_M View Post
    Bump! Has anyone used/seen the knives I linked in the post above by any chance?
    As previously noted, I have the Murata --
    It is fully hand-hammered so there are actually pronounced hammer indentations in the kuro uchi finish, so that's a plus if you find those things appealing -- one of the sharpest OOTB edges I've ever seen, and it strops back to shape very well even on newsprint. I did end up thinning mine behind the edge to get a more even blade path and improve performance, and now it falls through food like nothing. The grind is very good, with decent food release. Not a huge distal taper though. The aogami core takes a nice patina, as does the cladding once you remove the protective "lacquer" from the bade path. The tang is thick and durable, and it has a drop-nose and relatively flat profile, which I find most suitable for my purposes, as I do not rock-chop.
    Vestigia nulla retrorsum.

Brett EE also has the Kumagoro Hammer Finish.The 210 is 184.00.I have the older model 240mm wt. Blue Steel.Now they come with V2,I have never used but have heard good things about this steel.They are not lazor type blades,but have a assemetrical convex grind.

The more expensive Ghessin you listed has a nice thin behind the edge grind,if you look at the pictures detail in handles.

Well thanks all for your input! Finally I was able to buy that Asai gyuto from Don, on this very forum, for a price I could afford. The guy even added another gyuto for me to practice my sharpening skills! Great community, I think I might stick around ...

Quote Originally Posted by Brett_M View Post
    Well thanks all for your input! Finally I was able to buy that Asai gyuto from Don, on this very forum, for a price I could afford. The guy even added another gyuto for me to practice my sharpening skills! Great community, I think I might stick around ...
    It is a great group here. grats on the purchase