Quantcast
Any good knives for under $50 - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Any good knives for under $50

Quote Originally Posted by boomchakabowwow View Post
    my friend is an awesome cook. she could give a rat's butt about knives..(weird, right? i think they go hand in hand)

she has older Forchener knives..wooden handles, white handles. she runs them thru that electric knife sharpener from Chefsmate. first time she did that i was like, "no wait! stop."

nope.brrrrrrip! i was almost disappointed that that thing actually puts a good edge on her knives. in her life, with her ideas..the tool is perfect for her.

OP..i think you did well. those things are chopping tons of stuff in restaurants around you.
    You got that right.Forschner's used to be the most used knife in Hotel kitchens here.One of my first knives was a 10".Long time ago remember used to pick them up for 12.00

I started with a chefs choice, the higher end models really aren't that bad if someone isn't going move to an edge pro or stones. I then went to an edge pro and then recently stones.
    I find an edgepro plus stones is the ideal - if expensive - setup but the edges I got from my chef's choice were pretty good considering. (And the higher end models really don't eat up a lot of steel, they are pretty well made..)

My Dad uses a higher end Chef's Choice and loves it. He uses all Victorinox knives too.
    "Those who say it can't be done are always pasted by those doing it"

victorinox is the best one under 50$

Any style of knife you like on this page from Japan Woodworker. I have two of them and they were fabulous for the money. With that said, they were about $10 cheaper a couple of years ago.

http://www.japanwoodworker.com/categ...-tosagata.aspx

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post
    Any style of knife you like on this page from Japan Woodworker. I have two of them and they were fabulous for the money. With that said, they were about $10 cheaper a couple of years ago.

k.
    Those are good blades for the money,bought a few of them when they were even cheaper,as expected the handles are cheap,but the steel gets razor sharp.The 8.25" drop nose gyuto is a great blade to learn freehand sharpening with instead of a 300.00 gyuto.

Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post

k.

I agree. These were my first japanese knife, too. I think mine was 30 bucks 2005.