Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carbonext 'Extra sharpness' option advice

Carbonext 'Extra sharpness' option advice

Thinking of picking up a Carbonext Petty from JCK, most views seem to be that the Carbonext knives are good value but not hearing such good things about the ES 'Extra Sharpness' option, one or two saying it arrived really sharp and some saying it was a bad finish considering it's a sharpening service.
    It's only a few $ extra but no point paying if it makes no difference, anybody tried the ES option recently?

I would skip it esp. if you are interested in sharpening your own knives.I found that the Carbonext sharpens up better than most stain resistant knives,you can get a very sharp edge on it yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by keithsaltydog View Post
    I would skip it esp. if you are interested in sharpening your own knives.I found that the Carbonext sharpens up better than most stain resistant knives,you can get a very sharp edge on it yourself.
    I do intend to sharpen my knives myself and am currently trying to get to a good standard on the stones, so practice practice practice is the order of the day. The Carbonext seems like a pretty good deal especially as the £-$ exchange rate is getting better, but will save a few $ leaving the ES option out.
    Thanks for the reply.
    Warren

If you're not good at sharpening I'd probably get the ES option, the "standard" edge on my Carbonext gyuto was awful. They're great knives
    "There are 2 mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way and not starting"

The OOTB edge on the CarboNEXTs are pretty variable. Unlike stevenStefano, my gyuto came with a very good edge.

If you can sharpen, I'd recommend taking a pass on the ES option.

Rick
    The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    The OOTB edge on the CarboNEXTs are pretty variable. Unlike stevenStefano, my gyuto came with a very good edge.

If you can sharpen, I'd recommend taking a pass on the ES option.

Rick
    +1 My non-ES CarboNext came with a usable edge. It wasn't great, but it certainly wasn't bad.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Think I will leave the ES option, I can sharpen to what I would call an 'ok' level and the knives are nice and sharp and cut well when I am done, just want to get better and be able to get them somewhere near the best they can be.
    Thanks guys

Mine came with an edge but not much of one. It takes a little work but it gets pretty sharp.

After lurking and reading a lot on this forums for the past few weeks I decided to buy Carbonext 240mm.

The service was stellar - it arrived for 4 working days. I skipped the option of ES since from what I read it was not always consistent and I want to learn to sharpen anyway. The OOTB edge was interesting - it wedges and screeches while slicing carrots. I have abyssal knife skills so maybe it was not the little fella's fault - but it definitely was duller than the Wasabi Black it replaced.

Where I live there are no sharpeners that are proficient with j-knives and I will be able to afford stones on the next salary. So it is now waiting for me or an edge pro clone with sandpaper. So if you are unwilling to take risks - probably the ES option is not so bad idea.

What steel is this?

Does anyone know what steel is used in these knives? I hesitate to buy something without knowing what I am getting for my money. I am curious about this.