Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on a Knife Roll

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Having both a roll and a Ultimate edge. I think that you would do better with a bag. most rolls are small.
    Chewie's the man.

ultimate edge or the chef pak

Hmmm. Thanks, guys! I appreciate it. Steve and I might work something out (great guy!) Thanks, David.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Alright guys. I'mnot sure whether or not anyone cares, but, I'll let you know my plan. I've contacted Steve Goodson, and once his busy season is done (after Christmas), we're going to talk to see what we can figure out. He's got to be one of the nicest guys I've dealt with. I'm not expecting anything for free, and I don't want to put Steve in a funny position. SO, since I have to worry about putting my money towards a diaper bag more than I do a knife roll - what is my best bet for a second choice? I'm leaning towards a Messermeister 12 knife unit. Cheap, looks are ok, and I actually don't mind rocking the word "Messermeister" on my "kit".
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Tom if it doesn't work out with Steve, i have an almost brand new Messermeister 12 knife slot case you can have... It's the previous model better quality one with synthetic leather like material, Its more padded and stronger. It looks exactly the same as the one available now except the quality of fabric is better... I'll send it your way if you want?

Steve is amazing to deal with, I have had a roll from hime for a couple of years now. You can try a canadian brand I believe is called Horace and Jasper or one out of NY, boldric.com .

Tom, here's a recommendation : http://korin.com/Synthetic-Knife-Bag...ategory=280116

Since all my knives have sayas or sheath, this kind of bag is good for me.

Let me know what you think.

Ferry
    I see, I like, I cut!

I don't know about you all but I still hate knife rolls, way to impractical for daily use at work. I know some kitchens (per se being one of them) that won't even let you bring them into the kitchen. I must agree with this rule as seeing knife rolls tucked away in every corner of the kitchen kind of drives me nuts to, cooks that keep them in there fridge even drive me crazier!

It depends on how many knives you are planning to carry, but I use a Yak Pak Knife Roll. Its very well built, has 12 pockets but only 4 or 5 of those will accommodate full size knives. The rest of the pockets are big enough to carry petty sized knives.

I know you are Canada, but you can get them from Williams and Sonoma for around $40.00

I'm with Colin on this, work space is a premium in a kitchen, bags get dirty and so on. I have 3 go to knives I take to work every day so I stitched up some canvas similar to a chisel roll take out the knives and folds small enough to stay in the locker.