Quantcast
Opinions on a Knife Roll - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on a Knife Roll

Yeah this summer when I was just cooking in a place all I brought with me most days was one of my "butcher belts" just three knives, A thermometer, spoons and the steel. I'd keep my "knife tote" in the car just in case I needed anything else.
    If I decided to go to work in the city I thought this would also prove helpful, having the knives on the hip just in case there's any mugger action!
    Those that don't remember the story I did defend myself once from a mugger with a chef knife walking home from work one day, thank God I was bringing it home to sharpen.Crrocodile Dundee style.

So, I guess I can't talk you into making me one, eh Colin?

For me, either a bag or roll works. To be honest, I just need a way to transport them to and from, for when I meet up with a chef at a restaurant, or go to hang out and talk knives with a fellow forum member.

Ok, so another question (why not?). As a craftsman/vendor, if I'm meeting up with you guys at your restaurant to show you potential piece for you to purchase, does a leather roll make me look like a douche? I just really like weathered leather....
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Ultimate edge and koobi are my favorites for work. Tojiro also make knife case I love for transporting more precious pieces. It comes in black and metallic, has a keyed lock, and holds five knives completely padded. There is no movement inside the case at all. My only real problem with it is that it says Tojiro in huge letters on the side. Also AceCase makes a product for individual knives. http://www.cutleryandmore.com/tojiro...e-case-p117824
    All normal people love meat. If I went to a barbeque and there was no meat, I would say 'Yo Goober! Where's the meat?'.- Homer Simpson

I'm working on a new design, I have a paper mock up made right now. My first attempt at this "new style bag" came out okay but I wasn't quite happy with the design. Copying someone else's work and or a traditional design is a lot easier than inventing something new, but it's also a lot of fun to invent new things. However if you're dead set on a roll I could probably whip one up fairly quickly, how many knives?

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    So, I guess I can't talk you into making me one, eh Colin?

For me, either a bag or roll works. To be honest, I just need a way to transport them to and from, for when I meet up with a chef at a restaurant, or go to hang out and talk knives with a fellow forum member.

Ok, so another question (why not?). As a craftsman/vendor, if I'm meeting up with you guys at your restaurant to show you potential piece for you to purchase, does a leather roll make me look like a douche? I just really like weathered leather....

Ps. The tojiro says it holds 12
    Knives but mine only holds 5. Here's an inside pic.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  17.5 KB
    All normal people love meat. If I went to a barbeque and there was no meat, I would say 'Yo Goober! Where's the meat?'.- Homer Simpson

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c...g.aspx?a=60127 Use this Tom, Takes up little space, light weight, rugged and holds knives up to 19in long
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

I really like that, and at $20 I might have to get one.

It is nice! I'd still have to roll up the knives, though, for protection. Crap. It's definitely an option!
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

If I could get what I have stitched in leather I'd be over the moon. Or one of your belts Colin as most days it goes in a small messenger bag for my bike to work.
    Tom for your purpose I love the look of leather rolls just adds to it all.

I love the look of leather rolls, but highly impractical considering the amount of real estate needed to access the contents of one. Also- leather isn't light, add to that a few knives/tools and it adds up pretty quick. Ultimate Edge's portfolio style bag is the best solution I've found for knife transportation/storage thus far. The only thing I'd add to the design, is some stabilizing straps for the blades/sayas to reduce shifting.
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

+ Reply to Thread