Quantcast
Opinions on a Knife Roll
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinions on a Knife Roll

Opinions on a Knife Roll

Hey guys,

I'm new to this whole Japanese Knife game, but I assume that one day I'll have so many that I need a beach towel to wrap and transport them. As of right now, I only own a gyuto (man, are these light and sharp compared to German knives). However, if, threoretically I were meeting up with a guy from the forum...let's say earlier this morning...hypothetically, which affordable knife roll would you guys recommend to trransport my knives to and from home?...if this ever becomes a concern for me, of course.

Ps. I love leather and natural materials.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

http://www.jawleathergoods.com/leath...lls/4555975479

And if you ever do get hooked on this whole knife thing you could have one custom made to your specs.

I'm serious, guys...looking for a knife roll.
    09/06

Having handled a couple of Steve Goodson's custom leather knife rolls, I think he is at/ near the top of the craft. PM me if you need his contact info (don't think I'm supposed to include a link) or you can find his info on the Wildboar's Kitchen site. He's a very nice guy; pick up the phone and talk to him in person.

I remember him AND his beautiful work...gotta keep this cheap, though. It's more an item of necessity that I will have to deal with being less than ideal, rather than a dream roll. I guess....
    09/06

look into chisel rolls, cheaper than most natural material knife specific rolls and may suit your needs if you're knives aren't bare.

I gave up on knife rolls. Hate them!

I carry a Keter 3 drawer tool box. I can fit literally dozens of knives, a few rods, a stone or two, a strop, some mineral oil, wax, flitz, etc...With the mesh liners everything stays secure. Plus I can lock the whole box with a single luggage lock. It has a large metal handle, and metal locking latches, yet is the lightest 3 drawer box of it's kind.
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Do a search for leather knife roll on a site called etsy.com
    I think you'll like what you'll find. Got 2, one for me and one for my sous

I got the Ultimate Edge from Jon at JKI, 8pc one. Love it for the few times a year I'll probably have to transport my knives. It's like $25-$30 and worth it.

I use the ultimate edge deluxe bag. My 300mm yanagi with its Saya sticks out the end just a little bit. Otherwise it holds my everyday tools safe at work. Check out butcherbakerstore.com they have some nice looking rolls, no experience with them, they run expensive, but look nice