Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for Sharp Knives

Get yourself a white #2 laser. Konosuke; Sakai Yusuke; Gesshin Ginga, etc...., and a couple of stones. The ho wood handles are surprisingly tough, and can always be replaced/ upgraded.

Ultimate "sharpness".

Ease of sharpen-ability.

The mono carbon is reactive, but pretty resilient; will teach you how to maintain a knife.

You'll be amazed at the atom splitting capabilities...
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

If you wanna a laser, get sakai yusuke, but they are always out of stock, the same as shigefusa kasumi, which is a good heavy workhorse.

Coming from the Henckels, and to understand the geometry of Japanese blades, you better start with a relatively unexpensive middle of the road gyuto like the FKH rather than with a laser.

Thank you Kartman35 for the explanation video.

Looks like the general consensus is to start with a FKH so I'll pick one of those up first and then move to something like the Gesshin Ginga White#2 after a while.

It sounds like I should buy good stone(s) out the gate, if I just get the 1000/6000 from JKI will that be enough or should I be looking at something else? Would you reocommend getting a diamond flattening plate at the same time or wait until I need it (really not sure how long it is until one is required).

Most new stones do need some flattening, for two reasons: the first, obvious, is that they are rarely flat, and the corners will need some care; second, the outside layer of the stones should be removed to free the active particles. See it as an inactive crust.
    But you may perform this initial flattening with a sheet of coarse sandpaper as well.