Quantcast
A falling knife has no handle...
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A falling knife has no handle...

A falling knife has no handle...

Or what dumb thing did Andre do today.

I knocked my Masamoto yanagiba off of the cutting board with a roll of plastic wrap. Then I tried to catch it.
    It now looks like this:
    Name:  ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1395449429.685146.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  4.4 KB
    Name:  ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1395449450.507969.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  4.6 KB

The tip of my left middle finger looks about the same.

Everybody loses.

I've never chipped a single bevel anywhere near this badly, little nicks on my deba, but this is the size of the flat on the ura. Is there anything I should or should not do while fixing this? Or things I should look out for where I could eff up the geometry? I don't plan on trying to get it all in one go, maybe three to four sessions. Any and all advice is welcome!

I would send it to Jon.

That was my first thought, but I use the damn thing every day. Maybe an excuse.....

First, I hope your finger recovers quickly. Fingers are way more important than knives.

Which lead me to...

Second, no excuse. Just a great reason to get a "spare" knife while your damaged one is being repaired.

More than once the thought has crossed through my head if my love for my knives would supersede the jump back reflex I've developed after 15 years of being in kitchens with falling knives. I hope I never have to find out(knocking on the wooden bar top as I type this...)
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

Quote Originally Posted by Lexington Jim View Post
    First, I hope your finger recovers quickly. Fingers are way more important than knives.
    No way, fingers grow back dude.

If a knife is going down I get out of the way now. Reflex can be a terrible thing I remember years ago a newbie dropped his tongs into the fryer and another cook caught him reaching for them. That could have been ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by 29palms View Post
    Reflex can be a terrible thing. A newbie dropped his tongs into the fryer once and another cook caught him reaching for them. That could have been ugly.
    Yikes.

That's no joke, skin probably would have been falling off like he dipped it in acid.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Kinogie View Post
    Yikes.

That's no joke, skin probably would have been falling off like he dipped it in acid.
    Leidenfrost makes it not as bad as you might think, as long as it's a brief immersion.

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    Leidenfrost makes it not as bad as you might think, as long as it's a brief immersion.
    IDK, have you seen something like this first hand?

I've seen some really nasty grease burns including one years ago at an old job where the sous chef spilled a saute pan with a decent amount of just used scorching hot oil on the head chef/boss hand and it was pretty gross. He had to go to the hospital after trying to gut it out with a gauze wrap and some gel and what not while using only one hand on the line and it bubbled up nasty like and what not.

I know that's not the same, but he got it off pretty fast and reaching your whole hand into 350 to 375 degree oil almost has to be worse even considering the other where spilling it on from a pan let's it set in open air for a few seconds.

I've been lucky with oil over the years when I was in pro kitchens, although a number of times, I think 4, I've done the space out where you grab a pan handle fresh out of the hot oven with no protection.

The worst time was actually at home during the holidays, had a fat cowboy ribeye finishing in the oven as a side main course, doing like 20 things at once with some drinks in me and the music going, grabbed it with no towel or glove and instead of instantly dropping it I locked on even harder and brought it to the stovetop cause I somehow immediately thought of food preservation for the fam lol. Hand is scarred to this day.