Mizuno Suminagashi Wa Gyuto for a lefty?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MAS4T0

Reaction score
I've been holding off ordering a Mizuno Suminagashi for a while now as I'm unsure how it would be for a lefty.

I'd appreciate some advice on the grind of Mizuno gyuto - are they generally symmetrical and if not are they sufficiently asymmetric as to cause issues for a lefty?

I was thinking of having the knife sent directly to be re-handled and for a matching saya to be made for it. It seems wasteful to dispose of the existing (newly made) handle and saya, so as these knives are seemingly made to order is it possible with Mizuno to order the blade only?

Kind Regards,
Mark

Pretty sure you can order with a lefty grind. Also, isn't the handle a nice ebony already? Best thing is to contact Koki...

I'm not sure about the suminagashi but my Mizuno Honyaki is asymmetric.

The Yoshiaki Fujiwara Kikuryus from Maksim might be an option if you can't get a lefty from Mizuno. They are pretty much 50/50. I don't think they are in stock at the moment, but its probably worth an email

The suminigashi is nearly neutral. They can put a lefty finish on it and you should be good.

Mine is probably my favorite gyuto. Beware they run short. my 240 is 223. It also came with a plain ho handle. Don't know what they do now.

Thanks for the advice, it's greatly appreciated! :thankyou333:

I should hopefully have one of these bad-boys en route very soon. :biggrin:
I'm just waiting to hear from Koki whether I'll be able to get one with a left-hand bias/ finish.

I was thinking of sending the blade to Dave to have any issues fixed and a good initial edge put on it. I'm not sure though if this would be necessary.

Salty,
I'd really appreciate your impressions on how yours was OOTB.
Were there any issues that you had to address? How was the fit and finish?

Kind Regards,
Mark

Update:
Master Mizuno offered to make me a completely left hand ground knife at no additional cost!

I've got to wait a while as it's a custom order, but after always having had a 30% or so surcharge (or a straight out no) for a left ground knife, I'm very impressed at the service Master Mizuno is offering.

Back