Sajiuchi knives will be discontinued

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Korin_Mari

Reaction score
Hello hello!

Korin will not be continuing the Sajiuchi knives. As mentioned in a this post, they are not sharp out of the box. Mr. Sugai inspected each one when they came in as he always does and picked out the best ones, then returned the rest. We have Sajiuchi fan customers that requested them, so we resharpened and sold a few of the best quality pieces at our purchase price. Obviously, Korin doesn't plan to carry a brand that we have to resharpen each time a shipment comes in.

I apologize if selling these knives made Korin look bad for any reason. Please rest assured we have your best interest at heart.

Thank you for reading.

I was wondering about those knives. Do they tend to be good knives once sharpened. I think a lot of members on this forum expect to have to resharpen certain knives they buy. I know I do. Some of my favorite knives had a crap edge when I got them.

I think their usage would be closer to thicker knives that are great to really heavy duty work, but I personally wouldn't recommend it if you want to do delicate work. I'll see if Mr. Sugai has any that he sharpened and held onto. If I do I'll be happy to pass it around for a short pass around for more opinions.

Personally, I'm a huge fan of his knives. It's subjective with any knife, but for me, they just feel natural in my hand. Love his profile and handles and his HT seems to be spot on; so far I've used two VG-10 knives, one Gin 3 and a blue super and I've been happy with them all. Interestingly, of the two gyutos I've used, one vg-10 and one AS, the VG-10 was much thinner behind the edge and had a better distal taper. I ordered it from Koki a while back and he said at the time it was thinner and lighter than the rest he had in stock so it could have been a one off. Actually ended up selling it, which I really regret now.

The ootb edge doesn't matter to me as I end up sharpening all my knives before I use them for the first time, but I completely understand the decision to discontinue the line. I'd imagine the vast majority of customers coming through kitchenware stores (even high-end store like Korin) have no interest in sharpening their knives and/or expect all knives to be sharp ootb.

I'd still highly recommend to anyone how has the opportunity to try one of his knives to give it a shot.

Also, many thanks to Shirley and Korin for the Saji gyuto I recently picked up, really enjoying it :D

Cheers,
Josh

This has me interested. Mari, please let me know if you get a pass around together.

Back