Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Maybe I shouldn't have sharpened my Benriner

We call The Benriner "Uncle Benny", after the old Chinese Godfather in Lethal Weapon 4, and he bites back when angry!!!

As for you injury, have you even used Liquid Skin?

Quote Originally Posted by rockbox View Post
    I was going to make a custom Benriner blade in AEB-L. I guess that might not be a good idea.
    No, that is a GOOD idea and worth the inevitable injuries and/or partial loss of digits. I would definitely buy those.

I want one too!

Stefan

You have my deepest sympathy. I know how that is going to feel, and what a pain it is going to be to deal with.
    Butt hey, I can type with the middle finger of my left hand now!!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    I want one too!

Stefan
    How much would you guys be willing to spend on one. Maybe if there is enough demand, I can fund my heat treat oven by making them.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." --Albert Einstein

I can still type just fine. Spending waaaaay too much time at the computer I have pretty easily been able to just shift my ring finger over and use that in place of my middle and type at a good speed.

I would think you would have no problem selling a couple of dozen of these in the first run. A regular size benny is $20, replacements blades $11, so I think the price would have to be in the $30-40ish range. I have no idea what AEB-L costs or what it would cost you to make them, so if this is incredibly low please don't be offended, haha. I don't know how many people you would find outside of us hardcore knife nuts that would pay more than double the benny itself for a blade. Jon sells benriners and replacement blades, maybe he would also carry your AEB-L blades.

Could you put a "spur" off of one side, kinda like how a straight razor looks, so we have something to grab on when sharpening? That is what I always found annoying about sharpening the stock benny blades.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Its happened to me in the past, it sucks, but alot better than getting cut with a slicer.

As far as the replacement bleade, i would spend 30-40, it would make the beriner bad ass

Real men don't use hand guards.
    I really am related to Tony Clifton.

I have to be honest: I love the idea, but I think $30-40 would also be tops for me. I don't use the little thing often enough to justify more. Unless you make them from damascus steel

Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    I have to be honest: I love the idea, but I think $30-40 would also be tops for me. I don't use the little thing often enough to justify more. Unless you make them from damascus steel

Stefan
    If he makes them out of damascus, then you have to recreate the plastic bases out of Koa.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney