Maybe I shouldn't have sharpened my Benriner

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyChance

Founding Member
Reaction score
Sharpened my Benriner last week. Was cutting fingerling potatoes today into coins, one rotated and my middle finger on my right hand went through instead of the potato. Didn't feel it cut, but it just felt different than when the potato went through it. Took a big 1mm thick oval off the tip of my finger, no flap, through and through.

Doesn't hurt really, but fck is it going to be annoying to keep this thing bandaged up for the next couple weeks. Not to mention it's going to be sore, I will smash it into everything I can find, and the heat off the grill/oven/french top will remind it is there with a nice throb.

Oh well.

Eh it happens. Hey at least it will grow back! :D

brings back some not so fond memories, especially that throbbing:(

I was going to make a custom Benriner blade in AEB-L. I guess that might not be a good idea.

I was going to make a custom Benriner blade in AEB-L. I guess that might not be a good idea.

I was thinking about this last week when I was sharpening it. I figured they were small and an easy shape, someone could make high quality replacement blades for a decent price I bet. I think it would still be a good project, but just sharpen it on a 1200 stone or something. Don't go nuts. And when using it, be extra careful.

this is precisely why i wear a cut resistant glove when i use my mandolin. i learned that lesson the hard way. anyway, if it were me, i would put a thin coating of superglue on the cut, instead of worrying about bandages.

Superglue. The only band-aid you will ever need!

We call The Benriner "Uncle Benny", after the old Chinese Godfather in Lethal Weapon 4, and he bites back when angry!!!

As for you injury, have you even used Liquid Skin?

No, that is a GOOD idea and worth the inevitable injuries and/or partial loss of digits. I would definitely buy those.

You have my deepest sympathy. I know how that is going to feel, and what a pain it is going to be to deal with.
Butt hey, I can type with the middle finger of my left hand now!!

I can still type just fine. Spending waaaaay too much time at the computer I have pretty easily been able to just shift my ring finger over and use that in place of my middle and type at a good speed.

I would think you would have no problem selling a couple of dozen of these in the first run. A regular size benny is $20, replacements blades $11, so I think the price would have to be in the $30-40ish range. I have no idea what AEB-L costs or what it would cost you to make them, so if this is incredibly low please don't be offended, haha. I don't know how many people you would find outside of us hardcore knife nuts that would pay more than double the benny itself for a blade. Jon sells benriners and replacement blades, maybe he would also carry your AEB-L blades.

Could you put a "spur" off of one side, kinda like how a straight razor looks, so we have something to grab on when sharpening? That is what I always found annoying about sharpening the stock benny blades.

Its happened to me in the past, it sucks, but alot better than getting cut with a slicer.

As far as the replacement bleade, i would spend 30-40, it would make the beriner bad ass

Real men don't use hand guards.

I have to be honest: I love the idea, but I think $30-40 would also be tops for me. I don't use the little thing often enough to justify more. Unless you make them from damascus steel :D

Stefan

I have to be honest: I love the idea, but I think $30-40 would also be tops for me. I don't use the little thing often enough to justify more. Unless you make them from damascus steel :D

Stefan

If he makes them out of damascus, then you have to recreate the plastic bases out of Koa.

I was using mine for a bit till i realized that I could do the work faster with a knife...........

I was using mine for a bit till i realized that I could do the work faster with a knife...........

which is precisely why i gave mine away to a friend, after it had sat on a shelf collecting dust for a long time. it was fun to use until i had that realization, though.

I would spend 30-40 on a rockin' blade for my Benriner! I agree, though, that it would awesome to have at least a little "nub" to hold onto while sharpening... I once picked it up after doing something random in the kitchen and started sharpening only to realize that I was pushing the just sharpened edge... took my thumb 1/2 and hour to stop bleeding.

I love the feel of a freshly sharpened benrinner. Was just telling one of my co-workers last week how I was thinking about a custom blade for and how sick it would be, something i would definetly spend money on.

1st no pic diddint happen
2nd A bron blade would be better as that mandolin last 10x longer then the plastic ones, think benrinner was made to be disposable?

1st no pic diddint happen

After a couple days:
321399695.jpg

Just a nick really. All better now.

Real men don't use hand guards.

I daresay you can't get the last bits of a piece of food cut evenly and quickly without the handguard. It's a safety device, but it also creates a better interface for the whole cutting system. It's not designed to by used by hand, and I find it clunky when I do.

I daresay you can't get the last bits of a piece of food cut evenly and quickly without the handguard. It's a safety device, but it also creates a better interface for the whole cutting system. It's not designed to by used by hand, and I find it clunky when I do.

+1

God I just saw the name of this thread and it made me sick to my stomach. I HATE using mandolines. I saw a horrible accident early in my cooking career and just tried to avoid them ever since.

Back