Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Maybe I shouldn't have sharpened my Benriner

I was using mine for a bit till i realized that I could do the work faster with a knife...........
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    I was using mine for a bit till i realized that I could do the work faster with a knife...........
    which is precisely why i gave mine away to a friend, after it had sat on a shelf collecting dust for a long time. it was fun to use until i had that realization, though.

I would spend 30-40 on a rockin' blade for my Benriner! I agree, though, that it would awesome to have at least a little "nub" to hold onto while sharpening... I once picked it up after doing something random in the kitchen and started sharpening only to realize that I was pushing the just sharpened edge... took my thumb 1/2 and hour to stop bleeding.

I love the feel of a freshly sharpened benrinner. Was just telling one of my co-workers last week how I was thinking about a custom blade for and how sick it would be, something i would definetly spend money on.

1st no pic diddint happen
    2nd A bron blade would be better as that mandolin last 10x longer then the plastic ones, think benrinner was made to be disposable?

Quote Originally Posted by Chef Niloc View Post
    1st no pic diddint happen
    After a couple days:

Just a nick really. All better now.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Real men don't use hand guards.
    I daresay you can't get the last bits of a piece of food cut evenly and quickly without the handguard. It's a safety device, but it also creates a better interface for the whole cutting system. It's not designed to by used by hand, and I find it clunky when I do.

Quote Originally Posted by johndoughy View Post
    I daresay you can't get the last bits of a piece of food cut evenly and quickly without the handguard. It's a safety device, but it also creates a better interface for the whole cutting system. It's not designed to by used by hand, and I find it clunky when I do.
    +1
    I really am related to Tony Clifton.

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    this is precisely why i wear a cut resistant glove when i use my mandolin.
    Truth. I don't care if it takes an extra minute to find the stupid ugly thing and put it on, there's no way I'm using a mandolin without one.

God I just saw the name of this thread and it made me sick to my stomach. I HATE using mandolines. I saw a horrible accident early in my cooking career and just tried to avoid them ever since.