Quantcast
Japanese Knife Anatomy & Terminology Illustrated
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Japanese Knife Anatomy & Terminology Illustrated

Japanese Knife Anatomy & Terminology Illustrated

And here I thought machi was the whole neck... good grief

Funny how 'handle' is the same in both languages

Maybe I don't understand all of the terms, but I would disagree with some of those. I don't see any choil on the knife (although maybe you could call it that) and I would call K the ricasso. Is machi the tang or the shoulders of the ricasso? And shinogi primary bevel (naming from the spine)?

Japanese knife terminology differs from Western. Machi is the gap between emoto (neck) and front of the tuka (handle) where a tiny bit of the tang is exposed. Not all knife makers incorporate this feature into their product. The shinogi is the demarcation line between the tsura (face) and the kireha (blade road). These terms are usually associated with traditional 'single bevel' knives only.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

I did send that image to Shinichi Watanabe for review before publishing it. What you see is the version he was ok with, can't think of a better reviewer/critic

So shinogi is the line where the faces meet, is kiriba/kireha the primary bevel then or is something else meant by "blade road"?

Is there any place that I can look for English terminology? (i.e. for terms like profile, f&f, etc) I think I understand, but clarification would be super helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Korin_Mari View Post
    Is there any place that I can look for English terminology? (i.e. for terms like profile, f&f, etc) I think I understand, but clarification would be super helpful.

Try this Mari

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...ll=1#post29709

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post

As someone who came to KKF recently to learn about knives and sharpening -- both of which I knew virtually nothing about -- the glossary was one of the first resources I went to. Frankly, I was a bit disappointed. Among other things, there are a number of commonly used terms, such as "choil," which don't seem to appear at all in the glossary (unless I have overlooked them). Don't get me wrong -- I'm grateful for the resource, and appreciate the fact that probably several people went to the time and trouble of putting it together. It's just that it's a bit frustrating to me that it seems a bit incomplete.

+ Reply to Thread