Your Own "Best Knife Of The 2013 Year" Award

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

icanhaschzbrgr

ill-Known Member
Reaction score
A little bit more then 2 weeks remains till the end of 2013. Some of us are awaiting for their customs knives to be done, while others had already spent all their pocket money on jnats :knife:
Anyhow I thought it would be nice if we make our own award of the year. The idea is very simple: choose one knife that you feel is the best knife for you in this year. No matter what steel of size, price, maker.

Post the photo and write why you have chosen that knife.

My award would goes to Fujiwara FKM 150mm petty.
fkm12.jpg

It was my first Japanese knife that triggered obsession. Paid less then 50$ for it and it's still the best value for money among all my knives. My wife loves it and don't care much about others knives including Shigefusa 210, Kono HD 240, Hattori 125. So for me this is a special knife that represent great quality at very affordable price.

What are your knives? :)

dojo 110 petty
322_1_n.jpg

i could never see myself paying over $100 for a paring knife, and as far as i can tell this is the best one under a bill. bang for buck champ. still haven't sharpened it, have had it over 6 months now with heavy use.

Man I was going to get that but ended up getting my favorite knife of the year here :
s7bTYyl.jpg
[/IMG]

I've got nominations. knife of the year..

For a knife that you can actually buy: Gesshin Bada$$

For sentimental reasons the knerdiest knife ever: Rader's ultimate PIF

And for me personally: Mario's atom splitter

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpgI'd have to say my gyuto from Luke Snyder at bloodroot blades. I think I have been more impressed with this knife then any other. He does great work and I think he is about to get very popular.

An 18 month wait list isn't popular? :D

Jeez, he told me 6 months 7 months ago. And I'm still excited.

Actually, you might be right, Marc. He and David went full-time, so their production has gone way up. And, yes - awesome knives and awesome guys.

Can you be more specific about what impresses you? I figure you've got an amazing collection, so if something stands out, it must be special, and I'd like to understand why. Thanks!

View attachment 20837I'd have to say my gyuto from Luke Snyder at bloodroot blades. I think I have been more impressed with this knife then any other. He does great work and I think he is about to get very popular.

Ill wait until the first of the year .... playing the lottery that at least one of my customs comes through before '14

It's a toss up between a 270 Watanabe damascus suji or the stainless Mizuno gyuto. Both happen to be stainless BTW. Short spurts in the kitchen, an easy stainless has done it for me this year.

For my first few months into this *ahem* "addiction" *ahem* I have been nothing but impressed with my Ealy 240 gyuto that I picked up on the BST here. I am always amazed at its cutting ability, despite having not touched the edge yet.

I'm afraid I have a tie for best knife of 2013.

They are…

Marko 255mm Gyuto in 52100 and Arizona Ironwood
renj.jpg

and Rader 240mm Gyuto in 52100
q82f.jpg

Both are amazing in every way!

Vintage carbon Ontario 9" flexible fillet that I rehandled with zebrawood, and found a leather sheath for.

This thing has filleted literally thousands of pounds of mountain trout and flounder in the past year.

It's cheap, it's old, it's ugly, but I love it.

I didn't buy too many knives in 2013, but of the ones I did buy I'd pick this one. It's always a joy to get one of Ariel's knives, unfortunately it's getting harder and harder to get him to make them for me.

9c732da0c7e67f09fd0abeff8f7b64f8.jpg

4246bca62b95cec41a71e515d67576d8.jpg

3b3e541c7ab93512d984aa527389078a.jpg

dc8650a6eaadc5acf3c7e3d4bcebb6a0.jpg

There are some amazing knives offered up here.

For me, I have to go with my HHH Wootz slicer. There is just something about it that intrigues me to use it. I waited for about a year for the billet of steel from Ric Furrer, then Randy quickly made haste of a knife based upon Son's dragon slayer slicer. The handle is some fossilized tusk. At first it felt a bit awkward because of the complete natural shapes, but later I learned to love that awkward feel.

Nothing is better than cutting charcuterie with this knife -- even though I have some slicers that slice a bit better. This one just feels right.

AND Town Cutlery in SF did the alligator sheath for it (below picture).

k.

wootzslicer.jpg

IMG_2009.jpg

holy **** chef niloc, that is the most badass thing I have ever seen maybe.

I know most people here seem to have custom knives and my choice isn't a newer knife but I purchased my second gyuto this year after owning a Mac Pro for a couple years and it blew me away. Kono hd 240.

Back