Takeda: not impressed

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erilyn75

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I showed my hubby a Takeda I was eyeballing, not expecting to get one anytime soon. Well, guess what showed up on my door this week. Yep, the very one I was looking at AND he even got it in the perfect length for me. It was love at first sight and the hubs got a big thank you :wink:

Today after using it however, the love has evaporated. I had to force it through a stalk of celery and it didn't even cut through my mushrooms all the way. So now I'm wondering what all the hype is over? It's a very costly knife and I can't exactly send it back so, is there something I'm missing? I'm pretty bummed :(

no experience with Takeda, but when I tried to cut tomato with my newly acquired Shigefusa it was a big disappointment. It didn't cut at all. But things changed dramatically when I sharpened it. So it might be the case of non optimal OOTB edge on your Takeda…

Here's a pic. Best I could do on my phone

51035a6779a5e293cfebf0713a2e1b63.jpg

no experience with Takeda, but when I tried to cut tomato with my newly acquired Shigefusa it was a big disappointment. It didn't cut at all. But things changed dramatically when I sharpened it. So it might be the case of non optimal OOTB edge on your Takeda…

I was thinking that too but I don't know how to sharpen yet. I've got the stones, just haven't had time with 2 little ones that seem to be at each others throats constantly. I'm kind of afraid to try it on a $330 knife

That must be the new grind. I kept hearing how thin behind edge they were and bought one from BST not long ago just to try it. When I inspected the knife the blade was thin , it took a good edge on stones but it was really thick behind the edge after cm or so where kuro uchi started. It was wedging more than kato, yoshikane or kochi workhorse gyutos. I didn't enjoy the rustic finish either . Being used it was cheaper than brand new but with the price tag and amount of work it required I wouldn't be happy as the first owner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did try my hand at sharpening it on the stones. Try being the operative word here. It cut the test mushroom at least lol.

I'm so bummed about this knife. Not sure what to do. It's not even the one I wanted for Christmas but I didn't have the heart to tell that to my husband.

hm… on your place I would probably send a message to Dave or Jon asking if they can tweak this knife.

Sell it on bst and if you cant get rid of it because your hubby bought it for you use it to practise thinning and sharpening raise the "shinogi line area " you didnt personally pay for it and with a knife that meaty it would be hard to ruin it and if you cant get it right then just send it to dave for a spa treatment. It would be well worth the money

It's the thinner profile Sasahona gyuto, not the big beefy one.

7923e6d7cc9b91880779a3c1bcc906b6.jpg

As far as i know the difference of Sasanoha to regular gyuto's is the height of the blade and flatter profile , the grind shold be the same

That's a nice knife, and I love that your husband would think to surprise you with it. Before Christmas, nonetheless! I say send it off to Dave or Jon, and get it in working order. Once it cuts as you had imagined, you'll be in love.

Suggest you send it to LA for a ride on the wheel. Get it out soon and you may have it back for Christmas.

I routinely send new (to me) knives to Jon for a checkup and first sharpening. Have also sent knives to Dave M and to Korin. Excellent service from all.

Hope this helps.

I haven't been a fan of Takeda for a few years, but thats because of issues besides the cutting edge - the edges have always been amazing. Sounds like he's getting to big for himself, and you got one in need of a tune up. IF the right person puts a tune up on your knife (Dave, Jon,...) it could easily scare you for an easy 18 months of home use.

I felt the same way about my Takeda back in the day. I found that laying the bevel flat on the stones helped. It looks like you just need a little shoulder work. I learned a bunch with that Takeda.

It just needs a little bit if work; the new Takedas could use a good thinning, this one seems it came a little extra fat. It's a great steel and it will get very sharp

Erilyn, I had a Banno Bunka from about four years ago that I just sold for that very same reason--Too thick behind the edge and wedges when cutting just about any vegetable. It was relegated to protein prep only till I found a replacement. I'll mirror what Dave B and others have said but why can't you return it? If you got it from Mark, he's excellent on handleing customers concerns, least in my experience.

Takeda's newer knives are screwed, nothing like he used to make before. They're way too thick behind the edge and this IS NOT a fix that can be done by sharpening/thinning. These knives are being forged and left too thick and/or not being ground correctly - sharpening IS NOT the problem.

7923e6d7cc9b91880779a3c1bcc906b6.jpg

It's clear to me that this particular knife is one of the newer thick bevels. You can tell by the short bevel height/grind. You have to compare to older knives to see the difference.

I'm very bummed about this problem with Takeda since I always enjoyed working on his knives - now they suck - and so does sharpening them.

Looking at it again, the grind doesn't seem at all like the old grind. He used to hollow the middle portion, leaving a very long "diamond" shape to the bevel into the blade face. Weird.

I'm sure some good thinning could still turn it into a really nice piece, though.

Thanks guys. I think ill email Jon and see what he can do with it. I love that my husband saved his pennies to buy me this. It was indeed a surprise.

Hubby got it from Chubo. I emailed them last night but still awaiting a response. Not sure if I can send it back now that I tried my hand at sharpening.

Thanks guys. I think ill email Jon and see what he can do with it. I love that my husband saved his pennies to buy me this. It was indeed a surprise.

I'm sorry to have crapped on your gift (& thread). It was indeed a nice gesture from your husband and I hope that this works out for you.

Back