Torch Advice

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yamabushi

Reaction score
Interested in buying a torch for kitchen use and would like to know what specs and features I should be looking for. For example:
  • Max Temp
  • kW(kcal/hr)
  • trigger ignition
  • adjustable flame
  • works at all angles

Mostly I intend to use the torch for browning proteins, but will be looking to get more creative down the road. Additionally, while I am open to specific brand recommendations, I would rather focus on specs because a lot of brands available elsewhere are not available in Japan. Any other tips, hints or pieces of advice are sincerely appreciated!

There are a number of Iwatani torches available here, but I can't seem to find that exact model. HERE is the closest I can find. It looks like it has all the same features. I think maybe the PRO is what is available in the States, but here the PRO2 and even newer PRO3 are available.

Yes that appears to be a newer model (CB-TC-CPRO2 vs CB-TC-PRO). It does not seem to be available in the US. Looks like it is pretty comparable to the one I linked.

HERE is the PRO3. It looks very similar to the PRO2, but the knobs are lavender. I'll have to try to dig in to the verbiage to see what has changed.

Hmmm... after some quick Googling, I found 9725 BTU = 2.849425 kW. The CPRO2 is listed as only 1.9kW. I haven't been able to find the rating for the CPRO3 yet.

OK, to make things even more interesting/confusing, the CPRO model is listed HERE as being 1.9kW. That's a big difference from 2.8kW?

I would email the manufacturer and ask the differences between the three models. My guess is the are all pretty much the same minus small features (e.g. Hold/lock to keep the torch on with out holding the trigger down).

I would email the manufacturer and ask the differences between the three models. My guess is the are all pretty much the same minus small features (e.g. Hold/lock to keep the torch on with out holding the trigger down).
Agreed... they all appear to be nearly the same specs with some minor feature variances. I'll report back if and when I get the differences figured out.

Have a look at the searzall, which should be available early next year
Will do!

I'll be getting the Sansaire sous vide machince once they're in production, so appreciate the suggestions in this thread!
I'm also considering sous vide, so that is another motivating factor for me.

After a bit more research, I purchased the Shinfuji Power Torch RZ-840 at my local DIY store for 3500円. It's rated at 3.5kW (11,952BTU). I just used it to brown a braised rolled pork belly and am very happy with the performance and results! Thank you everyone for the guidance!

2nd VonBlewit's suggestion to check out the searsall. I've ordered one.

2nd VonBlewit's suggestion to check out the searsall. I've ordered one.

Third! But you'll need to get a Benzomatic TS8000 or TS4000 (or thats whats recommended). The TS8000 is double the price of the iwatani though... but the searzall looks like its going to really transform what a torch can do.

Two slices of braised rolled pork belly prior to the torch.
emXJQ9Lh.jpg

Torch induced Maillard effect.
4qdShnah.jpg

So are you using the torch in lieu of a broiler and without access to a Sally ? I know it can seem a waste to kick the oven into broil but I'm guilty of it.

Broiler was not an option. I live in central Tokyo and like most homes here, we do not have an oven. That was part of the motivation to get the torch. That being said, a proper oven is high on my wish list!

I dig the Iwatani because they use the butane cassettes. They are easily obtainable in the restaurant biz.

Cheers Jason, but the Bernzomatic isn't available here in Japan.

Ahh I understand now and feel spoiled...
Haha, no worries!

I dig the Iwatani because they use the butane cassettes. They are easily obtainable in the restaurant biz.
That was another deciding factor for me. Butane cassettes for my Shinfuji are readily available both locally and online here.

My apologies, attention to detail is normally a strength of mine. Try to get the highest powered one you can get. I can brown proteins in seconds.
Happens to the best of us! :rofl2: I purchased the Shinfuji Power Torch RZ-840 at my local DIY store for 3500円. It's rated at 3.5kW (11,952BTU) and gets the job done quickly and effectively!

Just for reference:

• Benzomatic TS8000 - 14,282BTU/h
  • Shinfuji RZ-840 - 11,952BTU/h
  • Iwatani CBC-TC-PRO - 9,725BTU/h

Very informative thread! Backed the searzall as it seems like a very promising kit. Hopefully they can get it to be compatible with some torches available here in Europe

no benzo's?

weird..i wonder what a Japanese plumber uses? :) maybe there is no copper plumbing pipe over there?

Back