Quantcast
FEEDBACK ON NEW CIRCULATORS FOR SOUS VIDE
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FEEDBACK ON NEW CIRCULATORS FOR SOUS VIDE

FEEDBACK ON NEW CIRCULATORS FOR SOUS VIDE

There has been a lot of questions and discussion on the topic of sous vide, so I'm not really trying to start another here. Mainly, I'm looking for feedback on 2 new Thermal Circulators out there. I saw from a couple threads that some members here have tried, purchased and/or worked with the following:

Anova and Sansaire

It looks like both are going for $199 each which is significantly less expensive than Poly Science's overly priced and short life spanned products. I'm trying to propose a start up pricing sheet for a another place and am curious how these hold up.

Also, I'd love some comments and or suggestions on chamber vacs. I'm currently using a Berkel and despite an $800 new button board replacement, it's been outstanding for the past 5 and a half years.

Thanks for your help in advance!
    Cheers

Marc, I've got the Poly science pro and VacMaster VP112. I'm only a home cook but use the chamber vac about 50X more than the SV unit. I''ve SV hundreds of different products and SV is most useful for long cook times, 24hrs or more. Thus I use the PID (Dork Foods) to operate a crock pot. Water doesn't circulate but it doesn't have to when cooking for long periods. Water circulators do get up to temp faster, but then again, thats not that useful as you'll be SV proteins between 129 and 140, 90% of the time.

The Chamber should be your first consideration, its a very useful kitchen tool if in a handy place.
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    The Sansaire has been put off until Jan. for delivery, so no one has used it yet. Not sure about the Anova.
    Chewie's the man.

Dang it!

Quote Originally Posted by Mucho Bocho View Post
    Water doesn't circulate but it doesn't have to when cooking for long periods.
    Im pretty sure that the water needs to circulate ESPECIALLY if your doing overnight cooking so that the temperature does not fluctuate, thus cooking at the same temperature at a constant rate.
    Hahaha

Marc, while it may not help the exercise you are working on right now, I'm on the list for a Sansaire and you are more than welcome to borrow it when (if) it arrives sometime next month.

42, Non-propelled water ovens do circulate the water, just through passive convection. The crock pot method works on the same principal as the SV Supreme set-up.

Guess you should tell all the throusands of people that have purchased the SV supreme that they're all doing it wrong.

Thought I'd steal this review from Amazon. What are you thoughts now Mr 42?

For several years I've been hankering for an immersion circulator to try sous vide cooking at home. I didn't have the $2000 plus for a complete PolyScience unit, or even the $900 or so for a pro quality circulator head. So without expecting too much, I bought the oddly, sweetly named DorkFod DSV Temperature Controller and teamed it up with a 7 quart manual crock pot I found on sale at a local discount store for $19.

Much to my surprise, the combination totally rocks. The DorkFood unit is solidly built, easy to use, and holds the temperature I set within about 0.2 degrees Fahrenheit. The natural bottom to top convection of the crock pot, even without an additional circulator, has provided even heat for my sous vide creations. If you've never had leg of lamb cooked under vacuum for 36 hours you don't know what you're missing: a mild, non-gamy flavor with the buttery texture of filet mignon. Lobster tails cooked with garlic butter - unbelievably tender and sweet. Restaurant quality duck confit becomes child's play! Cure duck legs (with thigh) overnight with salt, thyme and crushed juniper berries - rinse and pat dry the next day - seal under vacuum with 1 tablespoon of rendered duck fat per leg and cook at 167 degrees for 30 hours or more for the most succulent duck you've ever tasted. After cooking I cut off the skin and fry it under a cast iron weight (affectionately known as a "pig") and top the duck leg with a crispy duck bacon "cracker."
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

Thanks David!

Here is a good review of the Anova: http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/09/e...circulato.html

It's on my Christmas list

Quote Originally Posted by 420layersofdank View Post
    Im pretty sure that the water needs to circulate ESPECIALLY if your doing overnight cooking so that the temperature does not fluctuate, thus cooking at the same temperature at a constant rate.
    Hahaha
    Mucho's set up, logic and suggestions are spot on for me. The water does circulate through temperature convection. Everything he's mentioned to try have come out really well.

+ Reply to Thread