Which do-it-all cleaver for my wife?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hardline_42

Reaction score
My wife is not a knife person. She's never been one to fuss over kitchen tools, and special treatment of knives is beyond her comprehension. With a toddler and an infant under her care, it's tough enough for her to do anything more than throw a knife into the sink after use, let alone wash and dry it. When I saw her use my gyuto to draw cut a pizza directly on a metal baking sheet (it's just a Tojiro DP, but still) I figured it was time get some knives that she could grab when she knows she won't have the time or focus to treat them properly, but still nice enough for her to enjoy using them.

Currently, her most used knife is a Ronco Six Star Chop 'n Serve from a set I bought through an infomercial about ten years ago. Aside from being absolute garbage, it's also super-thin, feather-light with a tall profile and a rectangular shape most resembling a Chinese cleaver. It also has a handle shape that forces a grip over the blade, so I think a standard pinch-grip would be natural for her. I figured it wouldn't be too far a leap to get her an actual Chinese cleaver, so I'm looking for some recommendations. So far, I'm considering the following:

Dexter Russell Sofgrip Chinese Cleaver (basically, a synthetic-handled version of the S5198)
135-24533b_large.jpg

Victorinox Nylon Handle Chinese Cleaver
037-fr41589_large.jpg

My concern is that neither of these is a lightweight cleaver and both are 8", which is almost twice as long as her crappy Chop 'n Serve. Are there any other choices out there that are...?

a) Affordable enough to replace easily if it gets damaged
b) All stainless/synthetic for the unavoidable trip through the dishwasher or left soaked in lemon juice for hours
c) Small enough and light enough for someone unaccustomed to using large/heavy knives
d) Easily hand-sharpened, taking a decent edge and holding it with regular honing
e) Useful for all-around meal prep tasks like slicing meat and dicing veggies and used in tandem with Vic paring knives for everything else

Thanks in advance.

I can't keep up with cck model numbers but they make a small, 5-6 inch that fits your description and I've read they offer it in stainless. I got one from the wok shop in SF many years ago thats still around somewhere.

Will offer that a cleaver is difficult to use effectively and wife would prob be better served with small chef/gyuto or santoku. Wimins like the santoku, stainless can be had in hundred buck range. Good luck in your search.

How about the smaller dexter ? It's about nakiri size.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001MRYEM/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

21lYV5kruZL._SL500_.jpg

I have one and it's pretty thin at the edge. So it's not a chopper but it's still pretty robust for general work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, the smaller Dexter is just about perfect but I was worried about the wood handle swelling and cracking if left in the sink. I suppose I'd have to oil it on occasion but it seems like a good solution otherwise. I wish they made it in a sani-safe or sofgrip version though.

I can't keep up with cck model numbers but they make a small, 5-6 inch that fits your description and I've read they offer it in stainless. I got one from the wok shop in SF many years ago thats still around somewhere.

Will offer that a cleaver is difficult to use effectively and wife would prob be better served with small chef/gyuto or santoku. Wimins like the santoku, stainless can be had in hundred buck range. Good luck in your search.

Thanks, I'd love to see some CCK cleavers that fit the bill. I've seen some that are all stainless (handle included) and they seem pretty robust. I would normally agree about a chef/santoku but I specifically asked her which knife she used the most (we have two chef knives in different sizes) and it was the veggie cleaver. She's comfortable with the height of the profile and choking up on the blade.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check out Katom.com's site. Town Food Service has some metal handled cleavers that might do the trick. And a bunch of D-Rs, too.

Hmm looking at the ronco chop & serve it looks like a scraper with a handle.
Have you looked in to the Zhen cleavers? they are VG10 clad with stainless.

I got my mom the light slicer, it is what it says it is a thin light slicing cleaver. Will tend to dent if used for any hard chopping. The knife is all metal with a rubber warped handle (the black stuff). Personally I'm not a big fan of the long thin handles on cleavers, so I think the handle is so so, but my mom likes it.
:dontknow:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E0EF7PA/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
71oU7QiKqLL._SL1500_.jpg

I have had that Zhen's bigger brother for a couple years now and I find it very comfortable and capable. And if you're already familiar sharpening VG-10 as evidenced by your Tojiro, it seems like a natural fit.

Veg cleavers are thin but VERY tall and VERY long and I've never met a woman who owned one but I've seen thousands of nakiris from women users/owners which makes this seem like a much safer bet. Unless your wife specifically asked for, or showed interest in, a cleaver I'd steer away from that choice and look towards a nakiri.

BTW, in my experience, this is what most women call a cleaver....

meat-cleaver.jpg

*Note - I'm not putting women down here, this is just a fact that I've experienced over the years sharpening.

You might consider the small nakiri by Global, GS-5. One of their best models with the G-2 IMHO. Excellent geometry, and quite forgiving.

Hmm looking at the ronco chop & serve it looks like a scraper with a handle.
Have you looked in to the Zhen cleavers? they are VG10 clad with stainless.

I got my mom the light slicer, it is what it says it is a thin light slicing cleaver. Will tend to dent if used for any hard chopping. The knife is all metal with a rubber warped handle (the black stuff). Personally I'm not a big fan of the long thin handles on cleavers, so I think the handle is so so, but my mom likes it.
:dontknow:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E0EF7PA/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
71oU7QiKqLL._SL1500_.jpg

I have had that Zhen's bigger brother for a couple years now and I find it very comfortable and capable. And if you're already familiar sharpening VG-10 as evidenced by your Tojiro, it seems like a natural fit.
Thanks guys. The Zhen looks like the best option so far. I don't see a 440C option for the cleaver, which would probably be a bit more forgiving of occasional mistreatment than VG-10, but it's not a big deal.
Veg cleavers are thin but VERY tall and VERY long and I've never met a woman who owned one but I've seen thousands of nakiris from women users/owners which makes this seem like a much safer bet. Unless your wife specifically asked for, or showed interest in, a cleaver I'd steer away from that choice and look towards a nakiri.
As I mentioned in the OP, the knife she currently uses most is a (poor excuse for a) cleaver. A nakiri might be just as easy for her to use, but is it as versatile? I thought it was most suited for veggies whereas a cleaver can do much more.

It depends on the nakiri. I've used ones I've had in the past to cut proteins with as well as veg. It's basically just a shorter cleaver.

The Chop & serve is not that nakiri like. Its like a short cleaver with a downward handle.

#9 in the image
ronco3.jpg

Hmnn...
Sugimoto makes a stainless steel chinese veg cleaver ( model 4030) abt 300Grams.

They have recently released a shorter height version in the range of 230 grams. Prior to this it was high carbon steel

Balance point forward of the choil perfect for a forward pinch grip.

As for nakiris.. do be aware that some makers make it slightly taller blade height and fits the bill. A standard nakiri has a lower blade height which does give some knuckle clearance issue for some people

In my quest for a custom knife for me to use, I custom order two "Super Nakiri" (for want of a better name description) in 180mm and 210mm from Ashi Hamono ( maker of Ginga series) with taller blade height, perfect balance point at the choil with a western handle. both with a weight of in the region of 225 adn 240grams respectively in Swedish steel; around the weight of a standard german chef knife ard 220 grams.

IF you know exactly what you desire and can specify the dimensions , weight and materials that you really desire, custom made is the a good route as it should last for the next 20 years... Other than that, you will have to make do and adjust to the specifications that's available.

Have fun in your quest.

rgds D

The Chop & serve is not that nakiri like. Its like a short cleaver with a downward handle.

#9 in the image...

Mike, thanks for posting the pick. I was having trouble finding one to illustrate that it's clearly not a nakiri.

Mike, thanks for posting the pick. I was having trouble finding one to illustrate that it's clearly not a nakiri.

No worries, took a while to find that pic lol.

Back on the topic at hand, how about a german ? A Henkels vegi cleaver. I have never tried one my self, but they have a lifetime warranty on their knives. So any major damage due to the rough environment (thinking cracked blades) can be sent for warranty. Best of all ..... "Dishwasher-safe; hand washing recommended"

http://www.amazon.com/Zwilling-J-A-Henckels-Signature-Vegetable/dp/B0000TPBVY/ref=sr_1_9?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1387079858&sr=1-9

21ST9Z4V7QL.jpg

Was fully aware that it wasn't a nakiri(saw the infomercial in question plenty times during late night tv viewing years back), but it didn't sound like you wanted to go full chuka bocho, so a nakiri seemed the best bet after getting a highly customized knife made. Some nakiri's are much taller than others, as was stated above. It's gonna take a lot of digging and trial and error to find anything other than the exact knife that she already likes. Maybe just get another one?

nakiri & Chinese cleaver are two very different knives! nakiri is lightweight with very thin(weak) edge; narrow & straight blade profile has limitations some type of cutting task. all-purpose Chinese cleaver is heaver with wider, curve blade profile & tougher edge.

5"~7" all- purpose Chinese cleaver with tip is very popular for home cook; very nimble but still have plenty of chop power, tip and the curvature of the blade work extreme well with fish, chicken etc.....check this one out, made by Zhen, very good F/F http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Chinese-Vegetable-Cleaver-Knife-6-6inch-Chopper-/221335520272?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3388a00410

Latest posts

Back