Quantcast
Carrying knives - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Carrying knives

Hey Chuckles, bottom pic...Mike9 handled vintage? I have an old 12" Ontario with an almost identical handle...
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Yup. Dexter Russel. I think it started with Son.
    'The only real security that a man can have in this world is a reserve of knowledge, experience, and ability.' -Henry Ford

Colin - what are the dimensions of that tool sling? Or maybe the make and model? I have been thinking of trying one. That one looks about six inches square or maybe the picture is fooling me? I like the vertical approach to minimize th footprint. 'Make it tall not urban sprawl' like I tell my salad guys.
    'The only real security that a man can have in this world is a reserve of knowledge, experience, and ability.' -Henry Ford

I'm useing this one
    http://m.searsoutlet.com/11-Pocket-8...01&mode=seeAll

The foot print is a little big, bigger then needed. I'm out working on a custom leather version kind of a hybrid between this style of bag and my butcher belt sheaths. Basically using the construction and design of the sheaths but using multiple ones constructed together to form more of a bag/case. it will close and cover the knives completely but when open still allow easy access almost like a transportable knife block.I have it mocked out now at 6x8" foot print as to. Allow it to hold a Chinese cleaver. What dimensions do you think would work best?

Just an 8 pocket fabric knife roll, anything more takes up too much space. I keep a second roll in the office full of stuff I dont use often.

Of course I say this without having used one but it seems as though any smaller than what you have might be too prone to tipping over. I think I will pick one up to try it out, I'll shoot you an opinion when it isn't wild speculation. It is hard to picture what you are describing but it sounds very intriguing.

http://www.amazon.com/Rothco-Jumbo-M...anics+Tool+bag

I keep one of these at work. Holds anything up to 270mm comfortably, and has a couple pockets on the inside perfect for measuring spoons, peelers, etc. a while back, I stitched in some Velcro I bought at Wal Mart which holds my thermometer, brush, and toothbrush securely and makes it easy to grab in a pinch.

Have a couple different "pro" kit bags/cases. But I find more often that I grab my old Levis leg sleeve with three corks and a leather tie string. Rarely do I need tasting spoons and the like. 99% of my gigs are in kitchens that have most of what one needs, albeit crap.
    I ride an MC to work and shoving the sleeve in my jacket is easy, just don't want to eatshit with sharp things pointing at my stomach. Even funnier is getting stopped by a cop and explaining to him why I have a "sword" concealed on my person… Indeed, funny sheit.

Long live Carbon!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chef Niloc View Post
    Easy to carry and easy to work out of

You know Colin's a real seasoned chef when he carries non cooking tools in his bag especially the screwdriver and pencil. Cuz we chefs aren't just cooks but mr fix it allsssssssss

Colin, Whats with the Copper pipe? Is that to keep people away from your knife bag. LOL
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.