Carrying knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adamm

Reaction score
How do all the chefs and pros store/ carry there knives at work. I currently have an utilitarian edge knife bag but it has seen better days. I used to use a Kobi kit but it didn't last. I have used a tool box but it was kind if big but very functional so I was wondering what everyone else uses?

This: http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com...ultimate-edge-knife-bag-semi-rigid-shell.html

It's the one I currently own, but I've seen the other two models first hand, and they're well worth the investment. No more giant, clunky knife roll, and all of your tools are properly organized. Has a couple nice sized mesh pockets, and can accommodate up to a 300mm with saya(barely). I do wish mine had some exterior pockets for random storage needs(paperwork, smart devices, etc), but the deluxe has said pockets minus the hard shell.

the softer version of the ultimate edge has outside pockets but you lose the rigidity. i'm thinking of getting another bag myself. lol.

Gave up on the knife/gear bag myself. All I take to work now is three knives and a few small things that all fit in a canvas roll i made. Sure off site caterings the three level tool box comes out... I guess it all depends on what your taking into work and where you keep it while there

This: http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com...ultimate-edge-knife-bag-semi-rigid-shell.html

It's the one I currently own, but I've seen the other two models first hand, and they're well worth the investment. No more giant, clunky knife roll, and all of your tools are properly organized. Has a couple nice sized mesh pockets, and can accommodate up to a 300mm with saya(barely). I do wish mine had some exterior pockets for random storage needs(paperwork, smart devices, etc), but the deluxe has said pockets minus the hard shell.

This should work....

I have said it before and I will say it again, Steve Goodson's leather rolls are amazing.

Gave up on the knife/gear bag myself. All I take to work now is three knives and a few small things that all fit in a canvas roll i made. Sure off site caterings the three level tool box comes out... I guess it all depends on what your taking into work and where you keep it while there

Good point. All depends on what you need day to day, and the space available.

Today. Usually two nice ones in the padded case. Removable tray can stay real close. Stuff on the bottom doesn't get used too much but I'm really glad it's there when I need it. Especially the stashed bus/cab money (old habit from the lean days). I hide the toolbox at work when I am lazy and feeling lucky.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I have this box for knives and knife related gear only; It goes home with me every night.

I have another big tool box with all kitchen gear that I leave at work, locked of course...

k4.jpgk5.jpgk3.jpgk2.jpgk1.jpg

Hey Chuckles, bottom pic...Mike9 handled vintage? I have an old 12" Ontario with an almost identical handle...

Colin - what are the dimensions of that tool sling? Or maybe the make and model? I have been thinking of trying one. That one looks about six inches square or maybe the picture is fooling me? I like the vertical approach to minimize th footprint. 'Make it tall not urban sprawl' like I tell my salad guys.

I'm useing this one
http://m.searsoutlet.com/11-Pocket-...ct_details.jsp?md=ct_md&pid=19301&mode=seeAll

The foot print is a little big, bigger then needed. I'm out working on a custom leather version kind of a hybrid between this style of bag and my butcher belt sheaths. Basically using the construction and design of the sheaths but using multiple ones constructed together to form more of a bag/case. it will close and cover the knives completely but when open still allow easy access almost like a transportable knife block.I have it mocked out now at 6x8" foot print as to. Allow it to hold a Chinese cleaver. What dimensions do you think would work best?

Of course I say this without having used one but it seems as though any smaller than what you have might be too prone to tipping over. I think I will pick one up to try it out, I'll shoot you an opinion when it isn't wild speculation. It is hard to picture what you are describing but it sounds very intriguing.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000OC2RU0/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I keep one of these at work. Holds anything up to 270mm comfortably, and has a couple pockets on the inside perfect for measuring spoons, peelers, etc. a while back, I stitched in some Velcro I bought at Wal Mart which holds my thermometer, brush, and toothbrush securely and makes it easy to grab in a pinch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have a couple different "pro" kit bags/cases. But I find more often that I grab my old Levis leg sleeve with three corks and a leather tie string. Rarely do I need tasting spoons and the like. 99% of my gigs are in kitchens that have most of what one needs, albeit crap.
I ride an MC to work and shoving the sleeve in my jacket is easy, just don't want to eatshit with sharp things pointing at my stomach. Even funnier is getting stopped by a cop and explaining to him why I have a "sword" concealed on my person… Indeed, funny sheit.

Photoon12-17-13at1243AM2.jpg

Easy to carry and easy to work out of

bce6455d.png

e63b1091.png

2bfc4ca9.png

You know Colin's a real seasoned chef when he carries non cooking tools in his bag especially the screwdriver and pencil. Cuz we chefs aren't just cooks but mr fix it allsssssssss

I use a custom back pack made by Wustof. Frickin love the thing. Being the corporate chef for over sixteen accounts, I can carry my "work rotation" with me, as well as, various garde manger tools along with daily office supplies and my lap top. Throw it over my back & I'm ready to go.

I use a "fish tub" which are free from fish purveyors, in combination with sayas of coarse. I put a nice thick towel in the bottom to keep things from banging around. Works great and it's free!

what the hell colin? are you trying to get the ring or the mushroom looking potato from that?

Have a couple different "pro" kit bags/cases. But I find more often that I grab my old Levis leg sleeve with three corks and a leather tie string. Rarely do I need tasting spoons and the like. 99% of my gigs are in kitchens that have most of what one needs, albeit crap.
I ride an MC to work and shoving the sleeve in my jacket is easy, just don't want to eatshit with sharp things pointing at my stomach. Even funnier is getting stopped by a cop and explaining to him why I have a "sword" concealed on my person… Indeed, funny sheit.

Photoon12-17-13at1243AM2.jpg

Looks good,I used a homemade leather bag wt. boot ties for Ice chisels strapped to the back of my motorcycle.Did alot of freelance Ice carvings for hotels in waikiki.With a MC didn't have to pay for parking & easy to get around.

Latest posts

Back