Quantcast
Getting crushed by the holidays?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting crushed by the holidays?

Getting crushed by the holidays?

I will be honest and say that I would like to feel better by hearing a war story or two. I know some of you guys have been going to hell and back everyday for weeks.

Pour a stiff drink and let's hear your holiday nightmare.

I will start but I am sure this isn't the winner.

I had a rough one today. Nasty busy lunch that kept going long past the posted hours. Trying to get the night crew prepped back up after getting wiped out last night. Pop up 40 person app party to-go. Get a phone call about a minor family emergency. Not a life changer but it means I have to leave at crunch time beore the beginning of dinner service to get my son from school. I expo with a three year old until 7:30. When the rush fades I get the ordering done, look at a stack of invoices and some emails and say F%#* that. Do the walk-ins and bail. Get home and life is waiting.
    'The only real security that a man can have in this world is a reserve of knowledge, experience, and ability.' -Henry Ford

We're into the tenderloin of the season. So far so good.
    Actually I take that back. Last Saturday night we had an eleven top of obnoxious amateurs. Constantly remarking about my female staff's anatomy. Way too loud and way too graphic.
    My daughter is the host and one of the victim's of the abuse.
    If you've spent any time on this forum you know where this is going.
    I walk out to the big shaved head fu manchu mustasche dude who was obviously the head of the party and tell him they are out of line. He acts all innocent and denies any wrong doing. These guys are with their wives mind you. Other customers also heard the remarks and were offended as well.
    Me "have you paid your bill?"
    Him, "no"
    Me, "To show you how serious I am about this I'll take care of your bill. Now get the **** out of hear and don't come back"
    This conversation was held at a very discreet level.
    Their bill was around a thousand bucks.
    It was a bargain. The staff watched them walk out like sheep.

as an hourly employee, i must say i love this time of the year. work is slammed every day with huge private parties and banquets and our staff can barely keep up. im getting 25hrs+ overtime each week.

40 person 4 course sit down dinner at 4:00 pm with no notice and no staff. Gm made the reservation last week and didn't tell anyone. I found out at 3:oopm. I have no day staff and no product . Run to the store and buy whatever I can to fake it. get back, threw a bunch of apps at them and a giant cheese board to keep them happy while I try to prep the menu. My staff doesn't get in till 6pm because, the boss had me cut everyone's hours this week. By the time they rolled in I was done. Found out at 5:30pm that I have another 20 top party coming in at 6pm. Also, no food or prep. Gm says , I'll give you the menu when I get in tonight. When are you getting in? 9pm. Doesn't help me you little#$%^&. Bang out a bunch of other reasonably tasting crap, none of which they ordered. Had the servers tell them chef would be doing a special tasting menu just for them. Made smaller portions of various specials we were running, called them something else and added a few sauces to them and now you have a customized menu, just for you, pulled out of my fat ass.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

That is why we are called Chefs.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

Son - Your GM sounds like a train wreck. They are in for a treat when you leave.

Salty - Well played.
    'The only real security that a man can have in this world is a reserve of knowledge, experience, and ability.' -Henry Ford

Being a chef at a platinum country club this time of year is hell. We have a 4x8 foot event board that is full of layers of pinned event sheets. It seems like we are doing prep for the next day on top of doing five parties at the same time, as well as giving assistance to the next department. And every weekend we have some grandiose event; Thanksgiving buffet, breakfast with Santa, Christmas candlelight dinner. It seems never-ending. Our walk-in cooler needs scaffolding to navigate!
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckles View Post
    Son - Your GM sounds like a train wreck. They are in for a treat when you leave.

Salty - Well played.
    Agreed, on both accounts.
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

this time of year guests get extra peculiar with their sense of entitlement and demands, as in annoyance level is multiplied exponentially.

Today was A rough one, I slept in late didn't get up until about 2 PM then I screwed around a bit doing I don't know what. Then I order a pizza and watched some tv....boy the holidays can be a bear.