Quantcast
What thickness stock for pairing knives?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What thickness stock for pairing knives?

What thickness stock for pairing knives?

Question is in the title, I'm going to try my hand at a small pairing knife or two, any suggestions?
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

I think I am going to go with 3/32" precision ground O1, thoughts?

3/32" is the base line for what most of us use for kitchen knives. I'd guess that you could go for thinner stock (for a parer) but in my opinion sometimes it's nice to have extra meat, so 3/32" should do you fine.

Thanks Dave!

Good luck! I had the same idea. Have two blanks; got the most beautiful distal taper, a fairly even grind; switched to a higher belt to blend it all together, and blew the tip; several times. After a solid hour, I set it down, and have yet to return to it. I've realized I do not work well frustrated.
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by stereo.pete View Post
    I think I am going to go with 3/32" precision ground O1, thoughts?
    That's what I'Ve one with, Pete. It leaves a lot to get rid of, but allows room to make the geometry better. 1/8 might work well for a parer....
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

I think you we're going for 1/16 Which is about the size of the thickest part of a shun parer that ppl seem to like. But it tapers hard in all directions. Hmm unless. Deba-parer.......
    Keep your love outta my sauce.

Quote Originally Posted by NO ChoP! View Post
    Good luck! I had the same idea. Have two blanks; got the most beautiful distal taper, a fairly even grind; switched to a higher belt to blend it all together, and blew the tip; several times. After a solid hour, I set it down, and have yet to return to it. I've realized I do not work well frustrated.
    Chris,

The same thing happened to me today when I was using my 1x30 grinder for the first time to make a knife. The original design had a bit more point so say the least. This was the result of a 1" by 12" bar of O1 in 1/8" thickness I had laying around. Figured I would play around with my new janky 1x30 Harbor Freight grinder. Edge is down to about a dimes thickness, which would have taken me in the past about 3-4 days with hand files. This only took me 2 hours today!

and

Yeah, I dunno...my brain is off. Haha

A good little trick until the grinder no longer gets the best of you is to set the distal taper, grind until you get nervous (of blowing the tip), then finish the tip and BTE with files and diamond plates, then sandpaper, or leather belt.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Are you using ceramic belts?
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com