Working on another board

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
I was starting to get a little self conscious yesterday until Mr Heckler said he wanted the curly Mahogany board.
I really liked the board and my wife did as well, but I was starting to think we were the only ones.
After Mr Heckler asked for the board I went home and started thinking about what to make next.
Making the boards involves a lot of hand sanding.
For me it is relaxing and my mind tends to wander.
I heard somewhere else that this called a Zen moment.
When I was a kid, my parents called it daydreaming.
Whatever you call it, I enjoy making the boards.

This one is based on a photo I saw in a food magazine I read while in an airport a couple years ago.
Hard to get the perspective from the photo but it is kind of fan shaped. The end with the hole is a couple inches narrower than the solid end. Right now there is still a lot of sanding to do before I am ready to start oiling it. This is the last piece of the blister maple. Not quite as bold figure as the other piece I used but still nice.
b001_zpsd0b00f39.jpg

I was thinking it could be used as a serving board.

I know what you mean about zen moments, I have a knife that went from 50/50 to 70/30 when thinning. Hope your zen moments don't take your board from being flat.

I just finished. I am really happy how this one turned out.
b007_zpsd0823837.jpg

the other side
b006_zps4d0492ce.jpg

It's kind of large. 29" long by 7&1/4" at the narrow end and 9&1/2" at the wide end and about 1" thick.

Thanks ar11.
I am going to show it to the wife now and see what she thinks.

A personally hand made item for a person is a very special gift... always!!! Its one of a kind that money cannot buy!

In case she does not want it.... I am most open to it :O

Rgds D

Mark - im not too knowledgeable about cutting boards, but i heard end grain is preferable becuase of the self healing properties. Your previous board sold caught my eye, but I was unsure about longterm wear on the board. Afraid use would totally scuff up the nice finish. Any opinions on how well the character of the grain would hold up to longterm use?

Nice work, nothing says love like giving your wife a piece of hard, oiled wood :)

I really wanted that board, and I can't stop thinking about it. Please don't stop your experiments!

Mark - im not too knowledgeable about cutting boards, but i heard end grain is preferable becuase of the self healing properties. Your previous board sold caught my eye, but I was unsure about longterm wear on the board. Afraid use would totally scuff up the nice finish. Any opinions on how well the character of the grain would hold up to longterm use?

I have a single piece board I use at home daily.
Yes, it does show the cut marks. Not glaring but they are there.
With some of the pretty boards I was thinking, use one side for light cutting and the other side for display when using as a serving board.
I am using mineral oil and board butter so the board can be freshened up with oil when it needs it.

I will probably be making a section of my web store to sell some of the things I make.
These keep me going between batches of stabilized blocks coming in.
I had expected a new batch of wood to arrive Friday but no such luck.
So I had a choice, clean my work area or work on a few boards.

The reason I took this board home to show the wife was to get an opinion on the size and shape.
Sometimes I like weird stuff and then she says "that's just weird".
She liked the size and shape of this one.

Another one I am working on. Still sanding but getting close.
b001_zps2e008d1a.jpg

All sanded and ready to be oiled.
b002_zps2fd76945.jpg

Here it has been oiled and waxed.
b003_zps320d132c.jpg

The other side
b004_zps5d3b844d.jpg

That turned out great!! Glad to see the zen working for you. :)

UPS just showed up with something I have been anxiously waiting for.
Makes good figured wood look like kindling.
So I will be working late.
Hopefully I will have some photos in a few hours.

What a cool piece Mark. I love the difference in the figuring. You have my address right?

Thanks ar11.
I am going to show it to the wife now and see what she thinks.

That's funny Mark; my wife literally gives her "seal of approval" to every single piece I make and send out.

Back