Found a 270 Kato finally. Got some questions.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ucmd

Reaction score
Just iund a 270mm yoshiaki fujiwara gyuto being sold by Chefcomesback. Already thinned. always wanted one of these.

Here's the question. how reactive r they. I consider my shigs to be a ten for reference.:scared4::dontknow:

My on added the emoticons or your enjoyment.

We knew what you meant:DMine was pretty reactive to start but it calmed down after awhile. Takes a real nice patina. I'm honestly still dumbfounded by everyone's comments about the Shig's being so reactive. Mine was for a hot minute, but I cut a s*itload of onions with it, and it seemed to cure it. Wish I'd thought of that with the Kato.

In my limited experience with Kato it was less reative than a new Shig, and a Shig from B/S/T. New Shig discolored onions to point of not using them and blade would turn an ugly yellow/orange. It's settled down considerably, no issues with product but blades on two gyuto still get a little funky looking with enough onions/scallions. I had a Kato for a couple weeks from Ben's passaround. Do not remember any issues with being reactive beyond "normal" for carbon. Using your scale with Shig at 10 I would put Kato at 6, Marko's carbon at 4, stainless at 0. YMMV.

I didn't find the Kato Workhorse I used to be very reactive at all, it was new when I used it. My Tanaka aoniko damascus were the most reactive I have used thus far.

I didn't find the Kato Workhorse I used to be very reactive at all, it was new when I used it. My Tanaka aoniko damascus were the most reactive I have used thus far.

Same here. The high polish helps keep reactivity in check.

i used both a 240mm kato,270mm kato and a 240 shig side by side. i found that the shig cladding would just not stop freaking out. i dont like patinas either so it was quite a choir to keep the shig shiny and clean. but who knows? were all in different (work)environments so results should vary. kato was reactive too, but easier to control.

i used both a 240mm kato,270mm kato and a 240 shig side by side. i found that the shig cladding would just not stop freaking out. i dont like patinas either so it was quite a choir to keep the shig shiny and clean. but who knows? were all in different (work)environments so results should vary. kato was reactive too, but easier to control.

More power to you, I can't even imagine trying to keep carbon shiny and non reactive, while still using it for hours a day.

Latest posts

Back