Quantcast
Fujiwara FKM rehandled
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fujiwara FKM rehandled

Fujiwara FKM rehandled

I really wanted to try my hands on western handles, so I've stolen my wife's favorite knife for a few days to rehandle it. A Fujiwara 150mm petty. Some pictures.

Tried to preserve original shape without much curves here. Used wood from Burl Source: Hawaiian Koa and Ebony. Actually I've used those burls for another wa styled handle, but the remaining parts were big enough to make a new handle for FKM.

Made a number of mistakes, including:
    • Used too busy design
    • Not using pins (wanted to use mosaic pins, but my order from some online store could easily take another month or two to arrive). Used a piece of brass tube instead
    • Spacers are not properly connected in few places
    • Scratched the tang and was too lazy to polish it
    • Still struggling to finish wood properly. This particular one was polished pretty badly by a sandpaper progression from 80 to 400 and a few touches of steel wool.
    • Wasn't accurate enough when drilling holes for the metal tube… resulted in small wood chipping

But it was fun and I got a ton of experience, while my wife got her beloved knife back.

From pictures it's not bad at all...my personal opinion if that means anything LOL is that I don't think it's too busy

Great job on your first attempt at a western. Looks very nice.
    one man gathers what another man spills...

Looks good bro, I haven't gotten up the nerve yet to do a western (love finishing wood, hate polishing metal).

Be well,
    Mikey
    Available handles- [url]http://s64.photobucket.com/user/mkriggen/library/Available20handles[/url]

Rule #1- Don't sweat the small s%&t, rule #2- It's ALL small s%&t
    Mikey

Quote Originally Posted by chinacats View Post
    Great job on your first attempt at a western. Looks very nice.
    Thanks, but it wasn't my first western actually
    the first one was very similar however… Tojiro 270 ITK breadk knife.

… for the first attempt I didn't use any pins or tubes (because I simply haven't any) so it's just epoxy. And not that I'm that big fan of color spacers, it's just I've found my epoxy isn't strong enough glueing wood and metal together, but if I put spacer in between it becomes pretty strong.

And I used very time consuming method: glued together everything before shaping wood. So all the shaping was done freehand with rasp and file. Probably took me 2 hours or so. Personally I like this handle more then my second (much more complex) fujiwara handle.

I think the handle turned out better than you are giving yourself credit for.
    Now if I could give my 2 cents worth of advice.
    Koa undergoes a transformation when you go beyond 600 grit. Preferably 1000+ grit to show off the full potential in the figure.
    2nd, you can still turn the tube into a mosaic by inserting different sized metal rods and epoxy. Or crushed turquoise, shell or ....? and epoxy.
    All in all the handle you made looks good.
    You are pretty brave learning while using expensive handle material like the koa.
    Mark Farley / It's a Burl
    Phone 541-592-5071, Email burlsource@gmail.com
    Visit our web store

I think you are selling yourself way short. From the pictures, it looks terrific.

I agree that looks great. I also kind of like the tube instead of mosaic pins.
    "Sucking at something is the first step to becoming sorta good at something." -Jake the Dog

I don't think it's busy at all. Looks great man!

Quote Originally Posted by Burl Source View Post
    I think the handle turned out better than you are giving yourself credit for.
    Now if I could give my 2 cents worth of advice.
    Koa undergoes a transformation when you go beyond 600 grit. Preferably 1000+ grit to show off the full potential in the figure.
    2nd, you can still turn the tube into a mosaic by inserting different sized metal rods and epoxy. Or crushed turquoise, shell or ....? and epoxy.
    All in all the handle you made looks good.
    You are pretty brave learning while using expensive handle material like the koa.
    Mark, thanks for advices. I'm gonna try refinish this handle and polish it up to 3000 grit. Also I've tried your method of wet sanding to cover wood pores, but probably did something wrong and gonna try it once more.

Koa block I bought from you was big enough for 2 handles and since I'm running out of unrehandled knives, I decided to use koa on this one. Otherwise I would end up with nice wood and no more unrehandled knives. And you might remember my problems with cracks on ebony… so I couldn't just throw it away and cut small pieces to be used as ferrule.

Making my own mosaic pins seems like a fun idea Might borrow some beads from my wife and see if they looks ok crushed and epoxied.