Quantcast
the weekend project
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: the weekend project

  1. #1
    Senior Member Hbeernink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    153

    the weekend project

    made a few of these this weekend- these are the first bars I've made: very cool and rewarding project as you can bang 'em out pretty quickly and they're easy.

    They're 24" long. the wider ones (~3") have 2 rows of magnets so they can function when mounted vertically. narrower ones are 2", and have only one row of magnets. wood is wenge - these still need some finish, but are otherwise mostly done (just need to figure out what I want to use for mounting hardware). These are going in the glass knife case that will be both display and quick access in the home kitchen...


  2. #2
    Weird Wood Pusher Burl Source's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Kerby, OR
    Posts
    3,244
    Looking good.
    I am assuming that you drilled holes for the magnets from the back.
    In my experiments I was surprised how thin I needed to go with the layer of wood between the magnets and the blades.
    Hopefully you will take some photos when they are mounted in place and loaded up with knives.
    Mark Farley / It's a Burl
    Phone 541-592-5071, Email burlsource@burlsales.com
    Visit our web store

  3. #3
    Senior Member Hbeernink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    153
    thanks - yes, I routed a channel on the back for the magnets and did a straight line all the way down so the full bar is usable - and yes, it's a pretty thin front surface, probably just over 1/16 or so (but haven't measured). I'll get some photos once it's all in place.

    noticed you're in Kerby - I'm up in Eugene. Were you up here for the knife show last week?

  4. #4
    Weird Wood Pusher Burl Source's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Kerby, OR
    Posts
    3,244
    Quote Originally Posted by Hbeernink View Post
    noticed you're in Kerby - I'm up in Eugene. Were you up here for the knife show last week?
    Nope.But I will be there in April. I will be the old guy that needs a haircut on the back wall.
    Mark Farley / It's a Burl
    Phone 541-592-5071, Email burlsource@burlsales.com
    Visit our web store

  5. #5

    ecchef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Hell Lite; aka Okinawa
    Posts
    3,026
    Nice work, H. Can't wait to see the finished project.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Newport Beach, California
    Posts
    911
    Judging by the avatar, yes you need a haircut

  7. #7
    Senior Member Hbeernink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    153
    Quote Originally Posted by Burl Source View Post
    Nope.But I will be there in April. I will be the old guy that needs a haircut on the back wall.
    excellent - I'll stop by. that's probably around the time I'll be wanting to rehandle a few yo-bocho.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Mrmnms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    822
    Love to see the case they're going in to. They look great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hbeernink View Post
    made a few of these this weekend- these are the first bars I've made: very cool and rewarding project as you can bang 'em out pretty quickly and they're easy.

    They're 24" long. the wider ones (~3") have 2 rows of magnets so they can function when mounted vertically. narrower ones are 2", and have only one row of magnets. wood is wenge - these still need some finish, but are otherwise mostly done (just need to figure out what I want to use for mounting hardware). These are going in the glass knife case that will be both display and quick access in the home kitchen...


  9. #9
    Senior Member crunchy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    PGH
    Posts
    110
    Wow those look great. I've been looking at trying my hand at those myself

  10. #10
    Senior Member Hbeernink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    153
    and starting to get closer to completion: http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...293#post269293

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts