What's your favourite peeling knife?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apathetic

Reaction score
I am currently using a sakai yusuke AEB-L petty knife and it works quite well, although might feel a bit too long sometimes.
So what do you use?
And if you were to get a specific knife for peeling what would you get?
I was thinking that the ideal knife for this function would be a single bevel petty knife, any thoughts?

Well for inhand peeling, you would need an oppositely ground single bevel, no? I'm confused....

Good question on that one... But if we consider that katsuramuki is some kind of peeling, then a standard single bevel should do the trick, shouldn't it?

I have two: a Sabatier Nogent paring knife in the classical "triangle" pattern as well as a Windmuehlenmesser flat edge paring knife. Both work great for peeling, but the latter is used more for peeling jobs.

Depends on what you are peeling Pineapples or Kiwi's.Not quite a SB,but used a very assem. gyuto,great pineapple blade.

i'm too lazy to keep rummaging around with multiple knives. i do all in hand peeling with my gyuto (240)

Mainly peeling mangoes, apples, carrots, potatoes, etc...
Anybody has any thoughts on whether you'd need a standard single bevel or the opposite side?

I have two: a Sabatier Nogent paring knife in the classical "triangle" pattern as well as a Windmuehlenmesser flat edge paring knife. Both work great for peeling, but the latter is used more for peeling jobs.

The Windmuehlenmesser has a nice shape

I use a misono fruit knife. Love that little $25 knife.

Suisin white2 210 kamagata usuba, or a petty if the task requires it.

Mainly peeling mangoes, apples, carrots, potatoes, etc...
Anybody has any thoughts on whether you'd need a standard single bevel or the opposite side?

I was wondering if a mukimono would work well for peeling. Any thoughts or experience?

You would want the bevel on the correct side. I haven't tried the opposite, but I don't think it would work well.

I think it depends on how you hold a knife for in-hand peeling. The Harner is a great knife, but in-hand it nicks my finger with the deeper blade. And I am too old and set in my ways to change how i hold the knife. The Shun is the right shape for me.

I want one of the Carter paring knives with a similar shape.

Back