Quantcast
Doing a stage... - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Doing a stage...

You will be asked questions that seem simple but are there to get to know what you know as well as your personality. Like. What do you cook at home. I'm the worst at them. I'm blunt and to the point so I say no insight is relayed and therefore no impression is made. If you we're to say honestly. I don't get to cook as often as I'd like but I love baking breads and French recipes, then a report can develop. That's an example. If I had a time machine I'd eliminate the person who invented them. I hate seeing a place say they're hiring just to get dozens of ppl to work for free.
    Keep your love outta my sauce.

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    Run Run Run Away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Don't do it!
    NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!1
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

Oh and shut the fing walkin door! It doesn't matter how small it is someone will give you a tour of it that you'll forget within seconds, so don't stand there with it wide open get in there with them and just nod when the show you they're array of Cambros labeled in 3 different languages: English Spanish and kitchenese
    Keep your love outta my sauce.

I think you should ask what attire they expect you to wear before showing up. After that just about everything else mentioned, including the shanking the largest kitchen employee to No Chop's run away advice, is all perfectly sound.
    Yet I will stress on the 3 biggies- pay attention, don't make them repeat themselves over and over. Work clean! Finish task at hand, including cleaning space on board And space on floor, Then ask "what's next". And above all, enjoy it! Revel in the novelty that is most of our's hell. It's actually fun!

Lunch rushes don't last very long. Especially in office buildings. They are usually pretty intense. The most annoying thing that my last stage did was asking questions about something they were prepping for the next day during the middle of a heavy push. The cook may seem to be calmly knocking out a long ticket string but if he has more than 5 or 6 tickets hanging it is best to not ask for much of their attention.
    'The only real security that a man can have in this world is a reserve of knowledge, experience, and ability.' -Henry Ford

Lots of good advice and thoughts. Thanks guys!

I think I'll just take my most basic jKnife (masamoto VG), working blue jeans, basic tee, I have some shoes with relatively grippy soles, and a bandana. rest well the night before. drink a bunch of coffee. work my ass off and stay out of the way when needed.

A couple have asked why I'm doing this, or encouraged me to run away. Not going to be a career change for me. I'm interested in having a new experience and learning something new...maybe about me, maybe about cooking...any of which is totally acceptable.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

i would recommend studying finance

Nothing wrong with being nervous . Gives you energy. You have a good head on your shoulders and are doing this for the right reason. Before you start, take a deep breath, try to relax. Help where you can , make room when you can't and enjoy it. There's a lot of outstanding cooks that don't spend time in a commercial kitchens.

Spokane, WA aka Spokanistan, or Spoklahoma, or...
    Ive done a stage or two in my career.

Get it?

Everything said in the kitchen can and will be twisted into a sexually implicit joke.

This is my observation of how we hire at our restaurant:

Get ready to run and have some fun. Lighten up and hang out. Run though. When we hire we like to see people who have different speeds. We like to see their top speed, we overload them and see what happens. Be ready for more than you can handle and lots of cold shoulders in a kitchen. Not all kitchen people are happy gogo folks. Some wont talk to you for at least your first month because they cant or dont want to remember your name, etc. Don't be a stiffler and a know it all. Everything that can be done has been done, youre not gonna change the world or the menu in your initial stages of employment here...learn our way of doing things. Smile. Run. Be extra loud and courteos but not a stiffler. Stifflers dont last very well in kitchens. There is obviously something wrong with your head if you want to devote your time to a kitchen where you are scared to apply at...and you better believe everyone who works there is crazier than you are. If you show speed, respect, and a good attitude youre probably hired even if you dont know anything about us or our food because we need to hear new jokes and stories because we've heard ours about 300 times over and we need someone who will pay attention. Be ready and write everything youre told down. If you show genuine interest in what we are saying, we will show genuine interest in you. Dont ruin anyones night...and remember, if you do, it's not really your fault - you just became a natural scape goat because you wont be held responsible for anything because you dont work here yet.
    Amat Victoria Curam Fortune favors the prepared.
    "A human being is primarily a bag for putting food into." -George Orwell

As long as you have some common sense and knows how to cut green onion you should be fine. I usually ask stages to cut green onions to see their knife skills. But i am sure most chefs are a lot nicer. I think having the right attitude is the most important. As long as you are cool, respectful, and not trying to replace a current employee, i think see any issues at all.

+ Reply to Thread