Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kim Chee. I love thee.

Spokane, WA aka Spokanistan, or Spoklahoma, or...

Kim Chee. I love thee.

Picked up cabbage, bok choi, carrots, and garlic at the store today, hoping to take a stab at some authentic kim chee which I want to bury underground until late summer, etc. Anyone have any pointers?
    Amat Victoria Curam Fortune favors the prepared.
    "A human being is primarily a bag for putting food into." -George Orwell

Get that dried korean red chili, it's almost powdery it's great stuff. I don't think you can really do bad kim chee if you like it, just follow some recipes find a korean cookbook by some old grandmotherly looking lady and you should be good to go.

Spokane, WA aka Spokanistan, or Spoklahoma, or...
    Nice! yes, I must have the powdered chili! Thanks man. The korean grandmother though...that will be a tough one...
    Amat Victoria Curam Fortune favors the prepared.
    "A human being is primarily a bag for putting food into." -George Orwell

are you going vegetarian with this? many traditional kimchees have fish paste or oysters added to them to help in the fermentation process. Get some sweet rice flour and make a porridge with water and sugar, lightly coat between the layers of the bok choy. This will provide food for the natural yeast on the vegetables allowing more lactic acid production for the fermentation. I would also throw some napa cabbage in the mix. Definitely, use Korean pepper if you can find it. good luck.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/napa-cabbage-kimchi this is actually a pretty good method and recipe. Very similar to how I make it.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

Fish sauce, shrimp paste, oysters, ginger, and green onion are also great in kimchi. Good luck!

+1 on oysters. Not required as we often make ours without, but they provide an extra depth to the kimchee.

For the first few batches, I'd recommend shorter cold storage times. Keeping to late summer will produce a very fermented kimchee. May not be to your liking.

Maybe shrimp paste is mentioned in recipies for people to make kimchi in the US, because that's what's available. Actually, I think Koreans will use this stuff:

In other words not paste, but lotsa little shrimp.

I've used ground up raw shrimp, as well as oyster liquor. Korean chili flake, brand name Wang, is awesome outside Asian applications as well. And you can make crude jokes about it.

Don't forget the daikon and onion. Also, Singsong Korean hot pepper powder is essential. Saeojeot is Korean shrimp paste, use in conjunction with fish sauce.

Once all the veg is cut into large bite size squares salt generously and let sir until fully wilted.

One may substitute sriracha for pepper powder/ anchovy for shrimp and fish sauce/ horseradish for daikon, etc...with decent results, too.
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com