Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kim Chee. I love thee.

I love thee also, Kimchi.

With that said, I have a quick kimchee recipe that I like to make. I only make it a few times a year though.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

i make kimchi myself. i've done it purely vegetarian style and a few times with some fish sauce in it. i just can't seem to let myself adding shrimp, or squid or oysters into my kimchi. i'm sure that adds a certain flavor to it and makes it tastier but i can't get myself to do it. =D

most kimchi that can be bought here don't have those in the ingredients but i've seen koreans add those things to their kimchi on youtube. i don't bury mine underground or whatever. i just let it ferment in my fridge chiller for a couple weeks or so.

since there's lots of korean groceries here i can get the basic ingredients together and make the kimchi myself. pretty much the same taste as the stuff i buy but i make mine spicier.

About the 'fish paste' thing, again I think it's these salted shrimp in this picture that are used and not a paste:

Quote Originally Posted by NO ChoP! View Post
    Saeuojeot is Korean shrimp paste, use in conjunction with fish sauce...
    The jar above actually says 'Saeujeot' so not fish paste.

Spokane, WA aka Spokanistan, or Spoklahoma, or...
    Ok, you guys are awesome thanks for all of the input and ideas. And, yes I love pungent stinky kick in your mouth kimchee that is why I want to let it sit and be fit.
    Amat Victoria Curam Fortune favors the prepared.
    "A human being is primarily a bag for putting food into." -George Orwell

kimchi thread! awesome.

what ever cabbage you are using (try just cut not whole napa first before you start experimenting with others), soak it in a heavily saturated salt water bath overnight, with a weight over the top to keep them from floating.
    next day rinse and dry well.
    the salted shrimp is critical, as is the actual korean chili powder.
    and tons of garlic, what ever you think is enough, double it.
    the rest is upto you.

i like to do the following.
    boil the crap out of sushi rice until it turns into mush, cool it down, incorporate into seasoning paste via food processor:
    red fresno peppers
    garlic
    ginger
    onion

add: corn syrup, scallions, daikon, carrots (fine julienne all of those, fun knife work!)
    i prefer it fresh (unfermented) but it should start to taste interesting after 3 days in fridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Asteger View Post
    About the 'fish paste' thing, again I think it's these salted shrimp in this picture that are used and not a paste:

The jar above actually says 'Saeujeot' so not fish paste.
    Yup, that's it. You are correct. Mini shrimp, kinda like sea monkeys, lol.
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Oh how I love thee too. Went through a jar a week with my last two pregnancies.

If you like kimchi that much, then next time you have a kid stick with traditional Korean practice and be sure to have 'myeok guk' seaweed soup every day for several weeks after.

Kim Chee! Yeah! Great thread!

Anyone done it with any other veggies?

baby shrimp. pretty common even here.

you can do this with practically any vegetable.