Noob in search of versatile Chef's knife / Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kitchen noob

Reaction score

--Knife Details--

interested in: chef’s knife; Gyuto

Handed: right

handle: Interested in Japanese style, but no experience with it

length: Probably around 8". While I am 6'5", my girlfriend is 5'1". Would like it to be manageable/comfortable for both of us

stainless? Would prefer low maintenance, doesn't have to be SS.

Budget: MAX of $200. Would prefer to stay in the sub $150 range though.

--KNIFE USE--

environment: Home use

intended use: All purpose knife. Doesn't have to be perfect at everything, but serviceable as I pick other additions. Trying to move away from the 10 knife block and keep it more simple.

replacing: Henckel Pro S set. Will still have and use them, but would like them to take a back seat.

Grip: primarily hammer, occasional pinch grip (not very comfortable with it, hand feels cramped on the board at times)

cutting motion: pushcut, rocking motion, walking,slice, chop. Little bit of everything.

What improvements do you want from your current knife? overall improvement over what I have. harder, sharper, thinner... better. Doesn't have to be the greatest, just something different.

aesthetics: not essential but bonus points for something unique whether it be demascus, or an unfinished look. Mostly looking for function though.

Comfort: Looking for something lighter, sharper, and capable of working for both a semi-large and a small hand. the gf does not like the heft of the 8" Henckel.

Ease of Use: Obviously it is preferred to be hassle free but will to learn how to improve. At the very least it should be serviceable OOTB. Would prefer it to be low/below-average mainteance with respect to food reactoin.

Edge Retention: Continuing with the beginner friendly theme, the less expert knowledge/experience requirement the better.

--KNIFE MAINTENANCE--

cutting board: Mostly Epiccurean cutting boards, have a wood one too. If not the best option, open to getting something else.

Do you sharpen your own knives? Kinda. Have had a local chef knife store sharpen them, but I will touch them up on steel. Willing to get a stone for maintenance.

interested in learning? Yes

interested in purchasing sharpening stuff? open to it.

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS:

I am looking for something that is a jack of all trades. I've looked up so many recommendations from threads on here but I am going dizzy trying to pick out the brands/steels/handles/etc. I want something that will be a great intro to something different and improved. If that requires a bit of babying or more technique we are willing to take the time. BUt we don't cook religiously. When we do we want to be using quality items. I've probably looked at 20-30 brands based on many many threads on here but I'd like to see what people recommend without me mentioning anything. Please keep the buget in mind, I have other hobbies that require funding too! I have a fairly healthy cigar and liquor backlog. :)

I haven't been trolling the site long but have been on the fence over getting a new knife since I found a local shop. Wound up buying a knife to give as a gift. Nothing phenomenal but budget friendly and certainly an improvement for the recipient. I think it was the Kanetsune Meisho 165mm Santoku. I started entertaining that for us and this is where the rabbit hole led. I'm open to any and all suggestions. Thanks in advance for the help!

I wound up going with Hiromoto AS which was strongly recommended to other members that got replies. Only reason I am replying is in case another person in search of help stumbles into the place and gets the same warm welcoming.

The expected delivery time was not met which was not a huge issue but it did come after Xmas, the 3-5 days was overly optimistic which I assumed going in to it. Knife if very nice and performs very well for what I need it to do.

Will probably be in the market for some sharpening tools and a smaller knife. If anyone knows a good place to get help with that let me know.

Huh. I am not sure why no one helped you with this. What kind of smaller knife are you looking for? Pairing? Petty?

King stones are good introductory stones. Heck they are professional stones too. Murray Carter uses them. You can get a 1000/6000 combo stone for like $50 and that will be all you need until you want to "upgrade".

Welcome to KKF.

Jon Broida at Japanese Knife Imports is a highly knowledgeable and respected vendor. A 240mm gyuto in stainless steel with a wa (Japanese) handle and saya will only set you back $155, and I'm sure Jon would be happy to put a sharp edge on it for you before shipping it out.

http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com...u/gesshin-uraku-240mm-stainless-wa-gyuto.html

The "CarboNext" series from Japanese Chefs Knife is frequently recommended to newcomers. Western handle, but a 240mm gyuto is only $128. Shipping is very fast from Japan, though the blade may not arrive razor sharp (even if you order the "extra sharpness" package for an additional $12).

http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/KAGAYAKICarboNextSeries.html

Sorry no one responded to your initial post, very unlike KKF. The Hiromoto AS is a solid choice, congrats on your purchases.

While I would like my wife to use my 210mm or 240mm gyutos, she is more comfortable with the size of a 165mm or 180mm santoku. The smaller knives also have smaller handle, so it fits comfortably in hand.

When I needed to talk to a vendor, Jon at JKI and the staff at Korin have been very helpful.

I wound up going with Hiromoto AS which was strongly recommended to other members that got replies. Only reason I am replying is in case another person in search of help stumbles into the place and gets the same warm welcoming.

The expected delivery time was not met which was not a huge issue but it did come after Xmas, the 3-5 days was overly optimistic which I assumed going in to it. Knife if very nice and performs very well for what I need it to do.

Will probably be in the market for some sharpening tools and a smaller knife. If anyone knows a good place to get help with that let me know.
I was in your same situation. And I made the same choice, just today actually. Also got a Hiromoto G3 120mm petty. I got some king stones, will let you know how they work out. I've read only good things.

What size AS did you get?

Sometimes a thread gets missed,there is plenty helpful advice here esp. if you want to get into sharpening.Welcome to KKF & good luck wt. your whetstone skills.:excited:plus you can look foward to a nice Hromoto AS

Back